Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 into 1 Exhaust

Delberts Wallet

I'm thinking of changing my current standard Caterham system to a 4-1 see as the packing has now all but gone so now I have a question.

When it comes to MOT time I'll refit the old system as it has a Cat fitted and will be required for the test. But As the paking has gone and the exhaust is quite loud (101db) will it pass the MOT or are noise levels not part of the test.

Thanks

Gareth

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 11 Aug 2001 01:18:24

Noise levels are not part of the test so you should have no problems. If you are purchasing a new system you should consider 4:2;1 as this has proved to be better all round than the 4:1 giving far better torque throuhout the revs. There is to be a feature in CCC on this subject shortly.

Rob, I think you have stated an over-simplification of a complex topic. There has previously been shown to be very little advantage of the caterham 4-2-1 on the 1.6K. The 1.8K starts to show some benefit, but it is definitely a trade off between filling torque holes low down the rev range and losing a bit at the top, so it doesn't give better torque "throughout the revs".