Click here if you are having website access problems ×

John Peel , a Sad day

Delbert

John Peel died today......

V Sad in the Delbert house all those years under the covers listening to the likes of Crass, Stiff little Fingers and the Gang of Four.....

Off to play the Undertones at a very high volume........................ 🙆🏻 *thumbdown* ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

When you realise the worlds not nice just drop your pants and slide on the ice!!!

☹️

Didn't realise he was unwell ☹️

Was it sudden?

He always struck me as being a very likeable man, with a very open mind *thumbup*

I'm truly shocked ☹️

Rrrrrrrrossssssssssssssssssssss

THE

Sssssssssssssssssssssssscottish

Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssnot!!! 😬

here

Johnny Walker not sounding too good tonite, Tribute after 6, but most of show is going that way.

Played all the Undertones etc, still shocked 65 is a bit too close

Then again think of his welcome party, Jerry Ramone, Kirsty McColl, Steve Marriott etc

When you realise the worlds not nice just drop your pants and slide on the ice!!!

that's not all the welcome party either....

If i manage to get to the end of my life and it has been even a fraction as interesting as his and I have met such an interesting group of people as that, I will consider myself a very happy man indeed.

Radio 1 was unusually good tonite on the way home....

New Order - Blue Monday,

The Buzzcocks - Ever fallen in love with someone,

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit,

Blur - Song 2

☹️

Rrrrrrrrossssssssssssssssssssss

THE

Sssssssssssssssssssssssscottish

Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssnot!!! 😬

here

☹️ ...and just watched BBC2 Newsnight coverage *confused* *confused* *confused* Gavin Essler had real trouble with the guy on the right of the split screen...scuse my higgorunce, Ilived in Bermuda when he (whoeverhewas) was a , what's the word? Star *confused*) Somehow, it spoiled it all.

If there's a proper tribute to Peel's talent and contribution to music upcoming and I miss the announcement, could one of the Shedders sound a large gong so's I don't miss it pretty please? Ta

and p.s Mr J Walker is another of the "greats"...(torch and blanket moment) ... hope he continues to entertain us for a long while and beats his nasty demons

FH *cool*

Edited by - FH on 26 Oct 2004 23:34:44

Virgin were playing some tributes on the way home, I had the top down so treated the residents of Banstead to "Teenage Kicks" , hope they appreciated it.

And whilst, yes, there are other DJ's who are equally as pleasant, nobody even comes close to matching Peel for introducing generation after generation to new music. Peel brought me to the Smiths, New Order the Fall, and Serious Drinking (The Revolution Starts at Closing Time).

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here

His was the only voice that made you stop to listen when you were twisting through the stations 'cos you knew it was worth listening to.

In my head, he was my mate ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ 🙆🏻

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

I heard it yesterday afternoon whilst testing some stuff in a factory in the West Midlands (a long way from home....). I very nearly cried.... ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

They had Radio 1 blasting out in the workshop and they played Teenage Kicks at least three times in the hour after the announcement! It made me *smile* but ☹️ at the same time.....

He was a marvellous chap, and I was always slightly jealous after reading an article about his daughter for having such a cool Dad (when mine is a tw@t......).

But thank you NaPP for making me smile by mentioning Wedding Present and Stump within the same brackets - it made me smile! *smile* And I'm suprised by the comments of Mr owelly! Good work fella.... *smile*

R.I.P. Mr Peel - you were one of the best!

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads.....