Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which gearbox/diff oil

No 57

I just wanted to check with the huge amount of knowledge on here

The reccomended oil for my gearbox and dif is ep90 gear oil, I've just been to buy some but on closer reading the spec is GL5, I'm pretty sure that this oil shouldn't be used on the more modern stuff but I've got a (new) accademy car (I think they call it a long box, doesn't look modern to me)

Will GL5 EP90 be OK ?? what about the diff ?

Cheers

Ben

The redline MTL is a ATF if I'm not mistaken, my gearbox definately wants an EP90, The same with the diff

The build manual says, fill with EP90, I can easily do this I just want to make sure the GL grade is right. Especially as the geabox input shaft is going to be spending a large percentage of it's life spinning at, or very near, the maximum permisable revs *wink*

I managed to get a GL4 and get in into the box, decided against the MTL for the time being. I also tried to get to the exact difference betweeen a GL4 and GL5, but only got this far

A straight GL4 has been designed to help syncromesh gearboxes work smoother, the GL5 is more known as a diff oil because of its load bearing qualities but can affect the syncromesh componants, a GL4/GL5 is happy in a gearbox and happy to take the kind of loads generated by a diff.

What really confused me was that the guy at the motor factors who seemed to know what he was talking about, said that almost all the modern gearbox oils were GL5, and Comma only had one GL4 left in the range (which I bought) which they were phasing out.

Thanks Dave

My list of usefull phone numbers is growing, unfortunatly I usually get the number about 3 minutes after sorting it out for myself

Hmmmm, definately got my wires crossed re MTL, I thought it was a fully synth

The GL rating has nothing to do with whether it is synthetic or not (afaik). It has been explained to me in the past that GL5 is 'slippier' than GL4, and robs the synchro rings of the friction they need to work. Whatever, Phil rebuilds our gearboxes and he recommends a MTL or a GL4. I believe he had a hand in the development of the Caterham Comma oil (despite the widely held belief in these parts that it's stock Comma/Halfords/whatever oil), so there's nothing wrong with that either.

A year or so on this same subject a US contributor highly recommended Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) claiming it out performed Red Line MTL. I had a 3rd gear syncro' problem in my type 9 gearbox so I gave a try; besides it is a fraction of the cost of MTL. BINGO, syncro' problem disappeared.

I should mention that in pumping out the old gearbox oil the last 200mls was gray in colour. It was likely the original oil (12000 miles). So I don't know for sure if it is just fresh oil that solved the problem.

Regardless, it's one the easiest problems I've solved on my car.

Peter M.

'94 VX HPC

Quick7

Many of the fully synthetic gearbox oils are both GL-4 and GL-5 as they are also diff oils.

What this means is GL-4 protection with GL-5 load carrying capability which is higher. It's sort of best of both worlds.

Cheers

Simon