Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

backlights on dash guages

linsky

If they got bulbs in then they should by all accounts light up, if they havent; they wont. Pull one out and have a look. I have older s/sprint with VDO instruments. All dials and switches light up except the ones with no need.(Like fan for heater) Think the vdo green is magic at night, really clear. Switches can be an absolute b****r.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

Mine's a 1999 classic live axle. All instruments/gauges are lit and all switches have identification lighting, which is activated with the side lights. The only modern car that has switches that don't illuminate AFAIK is the 'old' MIni!!!?

Sorry for any confusion caused. I meant the SWITCHES and not the gauges. Thanks to those who understood what I meant! Surely if we all have the same problem on 99 an 2000 cars, that's the way its meant to be?!

John W.

Ain't the glow glorious from the VDO gauges. I had cause to get another fuel tank contents gauge (damping on the original had gone) and was terribly disappointed with the c..p pathetic white light.It is 'cos the old VDO units use a green 'condom' over the bulb, a prism to angle the light and translucent dial markings. The new gauges rely on a big bulb with a white internally painted can and solid dials! Yuk.

How do I know this? Well, I couldn't stand the new set up, so cut open the brand new gauge and carefully opened the VDO unit. With a bit of fiddling and fettling I now have a 'new' damped gauge with that lovely illumination.

Have to say though when I was at the point of 'wrecking' a new gauge I wondered "Should I have just accepted this ('orrible but working) new gauge?" Glad I didn't.

On my 1995 Classic, some of the far left switches only light when they are used. I can remember the brake fluid level and heated windscreen being two, but cannot remember the others. I think the point is that you can easily tell if the heater or wipers are on, therefore you only need a light to tell you where the switch is. However, the lights on some switches provide warnings that they are in use, or that brake fluid level is dangerouosly low. Unless these can be fitted with two colour LEDs to show status (red/green) they must remain unlit until used.

Cheers,

Graham