Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series VVC ECU fuse blows, why.

Nigel Riches

A fellow 7 owner here in NZ has a VVC engined car which is used infrequently, covered 1000 miles in 2 years, the battery is maintained on charge with a conditioner, but on its occasional trips out upon trying to start the engine, after leaving the fuel pump to prime the fuel circuit, and attempting to crank the engine, nothing, remove the spent 20 amp fuse, insert a new fuse and off it goes, and it will continue to start satifactorily until left for a few weeks, any ideas gratefully recieved,

and as an aside my old dunger X flow 7 circa 1982, just covered 2356 trouble free miles in 9 days, who needs all the new stuff.............Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

I always add my 2p's worth when this question comes up:

When my 1.6 EU3 K did this on the way to Le Mans '03, in conjunction with the usual starter motor problems, the ECU was never the same again - rough running, even stalling when idling occasionally, down on power at the top end. Tried all sorts of sensor changes to fix (even found that it actually ran better when ANY sensor was removed - ie it was in 'get you home mode'). Finally remedied when I got an Emerald, when looking at the sensor outputs it is clear that there are no problems with any of them, my conclusion was that the ECU itself had been damaged when the fuse blew in France...