Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Socket needed in Berkshire

Apothecary

As per an earlier thread I'm planning on replacing my FIA bar with a roadsport cage and have been made aware of the potential 'challenge' I will face in removing the bolts (above the dampers).

batteredoldsupersport helpfully shared his experience & wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be VERY careful with the bolts under the arches. They are shaved to 3mm. If your socket has leadin chamfers (most do) then you will not grip the bolt and will round the corners. Grind the socket down so it grips immediately and keep it well pushed in. Believe me drilling these out afterwards is a real bsatard. I know at first hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone near Bracknell or Reading got a socket that is known to fit that I could borrow please?

My set are chamfered and I have no facility to grind down.

Paul

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool*

• Support Team

Took my FIA bar off this afternoon and the bolts were not that tight so no problem using my normal sockets. I'll check tomorrow what size it was but it would either have been one of my Stanley sockets which have a slight lead in chamfer or one of the 19mm Halfords Pro sockets I bought today. I would suggest that as long as the bolts are not either over tight or rusted then you would have no problem using a Halfords Pro socket.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

It's a 14mm socket and as long as the bolt is not too tight then you won't have a problem. Try with your existing socket but if you can't get a decent purchase on it then you'll have to get one ground down.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

A cheap n cheerful bench grinder will cost you about 8 quid in a supermarket and comes with 2 stones, coarse and fine. An angle grinder is a fiver and a disc 50p. Buy a new toy, you'll use it all the time. The only hazard is that you then tour the house or garden like a modern day gunslinger saying "rusty bolt? Go ahead punk, make my day. Think I can't undo you? Huh? Think again. Me and my 2 friends Black and Decker can undo anything..."

"Can't open a jamjar love? OK, just coming, soon sort it out... Eeeeeooooowwwwwww.....

Bottle of wine wants opening...unsliced loaf...thousands of uses. 😬