Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Golf calliper nearly here

Normans_Ghost

Graham & luke, They will be in stock at the dealer on the 17th (Nov), add a day or two so they will probably get to me on Friday 19th. I'll play around with them over the weekend and estabilish how much work is involved in making an adaptor bracket and report back on here asap. You should tick the "notify by email" box.

In the meanwhile, the AP calliper bracket is made and I'm now working on a simple, lightweight transmision hand brake. If all goes to plan there will be a knob coming up through the tunnel at elbow position. Press this down and a band brake will close on the prop shaft. release and the rod will release the band brake. It should be lightweight and, it should pass an MOT. the weight saving will be the weight of the handbrake (under dash one is heavy, tunnel probably lighter) and the handbrake cables. The bits I'm making are a piece off spring steel, to pieces of flat mild riveted or screwed to spring, a 3/16" (or similar) threaded rod with a plastic knob, a ratchet and pawl and a spring. If I don't save 1kg I'll be surprised, hopefully more. But the main advantage is being able to fit twin pot AP racing callipers and still pass an MOT.

There are some pictures here

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I've always had my handbrake tested on the brake tester. can't see why it should be a problem if all you do is apply the handbrake and both sides work. LSD's go on rolling roads without a problem.

Mind you, it would be good if you can convince the tester to issue a cert without testing brakes.

I used to go to a test station that thought he couldn't get car on ramp so didn't, just wrote out cert on the basis that he knew my car was OK. Lost his mot licence last year and sold the garage. new guy goes through it with a fine tooth comb, then says "I can see you know what your doing with this car, mate". Still won't pass it without a handbrake though.

• 2 weeks later...

I got about the most action out of the Sierra callipers you can get with Pagid ceramic pads...

Overheating due to heatsoak was the problem.

If there's a mount the calliper at 3 or 9 o'clock part of this project I would be very interested to hear.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

No need to mount the AP two pots at 3 or 9 oclock they do not get hot mounted in the top mounted position. I had heat indicators on my calipers on Le Sept last year and it was hot. The caliper did not get hot enough to give a reading on the indicators so less than 100C. My previous seirra calipers with pagid rs14 fitted boiled SRF fuild in about four laps of Donnington.

Rob, the reason for mounting at 9 o'clock is that it's easier to make the ali mounting block as the centers for mounting are different to the centres of the radial mount on the calliper. The top mountings are the same (with 1.5 mm each hole).

Look at the prototype mounting on the link below (it's under 7 - other upgrades)

edited to say it's not under other upgrades - try rear brakes (sometimes I'm an idoit- no change that to all times)

Edited by - nverona on 19 Nov 2004 08:42:57