Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

high temp silicon sealant

RiF

Been trying to get the 350 degree C version discussed on here for sealing exhaust pipes. All I can find is a black version.

What colour have you used? What make? What temperature range? Max I can find in the trade is 260 continuous and 350 max degree C.

Tried 4 times to seal my exhaust system but always blows within 100 miles on the 4 into 2 into 1 pipes.

Also found a silicon I tried did not set properly even after a week. I know it needs moisture and it is one that I use regularly without a problem in quite thick amounts.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard,

If you get the answer can you post on here because I have had similar experience to you. I've tried all sorts of sealant but no success long term.

Cheers

Steve

Superlight #63

Edited to say: PS fitted the aeroscreen last week and did my first track day with it at Donnington on Monday - superb! *thumbup* 😬

Edited by - Steve Cragg on 22 Oct 2004 10:31:46

Regarding the "O2 sensor safe" ... has anyone used a sealant that caused problems with the O2 sensor? It appears that both the loctite 5920/598 are ok to use as far as the sensor goes. Possibly the 5920 has a higher temp (700F) rating though.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=382_2083&action=product

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=382_2081&action=product

Thanks for the info.

What colour is the DP300? Does not say on web page.

The Dow orange one I have found and that has a lower temp than a sample I am being sent in black.

Not keen on Loctite sealants after promises made for a Dow alternative that failed in a pharmaceutical clean room ☹️ but that is personnel feeling.

Will post results if one works well.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

I've had trouble finding such stuff locally (or even on the net in small quantities) too...

...ended up with some stuff that only goes up to 260ish deg C IIRC - and had lots of trouble getting it to work. In the end, I had to shim the biggest gap (not huge) in the collector with part of a beer can in order to give the silicone a chance. So far (700+ miles), it's been OK.

Regds,

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Will see soon when I get a chance to reassemble it (when Raceline post my sump back!!!! and hopefully before I go to Belgium for 3-4 months. Think my problem before was temp level, 265degree C silicon is just not good enough even with good preparation.

Richard in France