Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Different starter problems

tiddy1

my K-series will not start when hot, sound familiar one would think so but when I stop from a blat and try to re-start I get nothing at all, no click nothing except the 20A fuse/circuit breaker blows. re-set this try again I now get a click but no start, after 3 to 4 tries the circuit breaker blows again.

Come back when the engine is cool re-set and starts first time??

Its a magnetron type starter and I can only assume the solenoid is somehow shorting to earth when opperated hot. Externally the solenoid looks ok but have not had a chance to strip it.

Any other suggestions.?

And no I dont have a relay mod as I have measured the current from the MFU and its fine.

Simon

Simon

Go with Mark's suggestion re the 30A fuse. This value is specified as standard now by Caterham.

Because the solenoid gets so hot due to its location, differential expansion causes the whole thing to become very tight and it needs extra current to activate it. The 20A fuse is not man enough in this circumstance.

The solenoid has very tight tolerances anyway with respect to the plunger inside and, because of this, the solenoid has a small hole in it with a rubber grommet to allow air to escape when the plunger moves. It's worth dismantling the solenoid and cleaning it out probably once a year as dust and grit get sucked into it via this hole and can cause the plunger to stick. You can see evidence of this when dismantled; look for tiny scrape marks running vertivcally up and down the plunger.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Mark, it still does not start when hot even after I have changed the fuse, only starts once cooled down

Chris, dismanteling the solenoid was my next course of action but I did not know about the air hole, most solenoids I have striped are quits sloppy.

Simon

Edited by - tiddy1 on 20 Oct 2004 23:04:36

Simon

We posted simultaneously! I suggest you take the starter motor and solenoid assembly off the car and dismantle the solenoid as I have suggested. You will probably find it has plenty of dirt inside it which is causing it to stick when hot. This is a very common problem.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• Area Representative

When I had the starter problems, the symptoms were that it wouldn't start when hot. I also had the fuse blow on many occasions, but usually this was after a number of attempts to start.

All my problems were cured after fitting a relay. After very regular non starting, I have not had it fail once in the last 2.5 years!!

I would suggest you fit a relay and a 30 amp fuse. If it doesn't work for you, you'll have lost about £10 in parts - a small price to pay for what might be your solution.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional