Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temp...

mikehoile

Anyone had this, my oil temp usually got up to temp within about 5 miles or after a little light reving whilst waiting in the queue to sprint,- recently I noticed that it has taken considerably longer to get up to temp, doubt that it would do so in the queue now. Water temp as before. Although I have just changed the sender (got a good reading at last !) this problem started before the sender was changed..

I am considering a Laminover unit however wonder what might have happened...

Mike

The oil will always take longer to warm up this time of year especially as the Apollo takes the oil capacity up to 7 litres. I have fitted a Laminova which definitely reduces the time it takes to warm up the oil with the added benefit of keeping the oil temperature 15C cooler on a hot track day.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Considering my options for 2005

Hi Mark & others, This started before the weather got colder. Have always been able to get up to good temp even in the winter. Had wondered if yet another guage was playing up, however once the temp is up it seems to register ok. as mentioned nothing has been changed - it was as though one day it flipped. Heater comes on as usual. Perhaps a Laminover might be the answer. Really nice seeing good oil pressure now - was probably ok before anyway...

Mike, I have an unused one sitting on the work bench - you can see it on Saturday.

My oil takes forever to warm up (dry sump) and that isd why I bought the Luminova but Matt at Think Automotive didn't think and doesn't think, which is why 3 years on I still do not have the appropriate fitting to fit it to a dry sumped car.

As you not dry sump it should be fairly simple.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Support Team

Mike - pretty easy fit but depends on the position of your apollo tank. Read Roy Booth's instructions which are pretty clear, but with mine, the Laminova would not fit flat like Roy's as I think my Apollo was a bit nearer the side of the car. Measure the radiator top hose carefully before cutting - I didn't and now have the most expensive (per inch) silicon hose going ☹️.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hi Shaun & thanks for the info. However unable to find Roy's reference to the Laminover when I tried - will try again as it might save me some cursing when I fit one. Looks like John Howe has one going spare - I'm staying with him in deepest Sussex this weekend so hope to bring the unit back. More money *confused* Found it in text only *eek*

Edited by - mikehoile on 21 Oct 2004 18:37:39

• Support Team

Mike - on Roy's site you need to click on "Modifications" and then "Oil/Water Intercooler".

Fitting Instructions (Apollo Tank Installation)

Drain cooling system.

Loosen four nuts holding radiator onto rubber bobbins.

Lay oil cooler on top of radiator top hose to mark positions of cuts in hose.

Remove top hose and cut where marked in step 3 using a hacksaw and clamping hose gently in a vice or workmate.

Refit top hose but leave jubilee clips on oil cooler loose for time being.

Undo two bolts holding coolant header tank onto chassis and move tank out of way but do not disconnect.

Disconnect top hose from Apollo Tank and fit into driver's side connector on oil cooler using straight adaptor.

Thread the spare part of the top radiator hose along the new oil hose until it is up the the 90 degree connector. This will provide a cushioned base for the oil cooler to sit on.

Connect straight end of new oil hose to top of Apollo Tank.

Connect 90 degree end of new oil hose to passenger side connector of oil cooler using right angle adapter.

Tighten jubilee clips on oil cooler water hoses and tighten radiator nuts.

Secure oil pipes to chassis where required using cable ties.

Refit two bolts holding water header tank onto chassis. This will now rest on the two oil hoses but should still be approximately level.

Refil cooling system and bleed as per usual, checking for leaks from oil and water connectors.

Enjoy.

Yellow SL *cool* #32