Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Petrol in Diesel

I.Mupferit

I knew it would happen sooner or later 🙆🏻

I only put in about 1 1/2 gallons when I suddenly realised what I was doing, stopped, then topped the tank brimful with diesel. I reckoned it was a mix of about 10.5:1 so I decided to risk it, take it easy and topped up again with diesel about 120 miles later.

The car seemed to be ok, no untoward noises and, in fact, appeared to run pretty well. I have since put in another 1/2 tank of diesel so there can't be much petrol mix left in it now.

Any thoughts on whether or not it would cause any long term damage 🤔

Car is an E320 Turbodiesel.

Brent

Waiting for my Duratec SV 😬

Brent

Don't worry loads of people have done it - now come on you lot own up 😬

I did it a couple of years ago when I first got a deisel. Friendly local garage & AA man said 10:1 ratio would be OK - start worrying if it was 15:1 *confused*

Advice I got was to top up every 100 - 150 miles for about 1000 miles as deisel & petrol have different specific gravities & don't mix too well so it takes a few miles to flush the system out.

Like you I listened for all the odd noises for weeks - didn't hear any tho'. Sold the car after another 30,000 miles with no apparent gremlins *thumbup*

Hope that makes you feel a bit better

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

Never done it myself, yet…

A colleague of my wife has done it 3 times in as many months! She has filled the tank of her new diesel car with petrol! On each occasion she has called the AA who come and tow her to a local garage! Fortunately she seems to remember as she goes in to pay and has never started the car!

On the last occasion the garage painted her filler cap pink to try and get her to remember!

They will mix and reduce the viscosity of the fuel in the tank but not by much.

In very cold weather this is reccomended by some manufactors so that you don't get waxing.

Problems come if you put in pure diesel as the viscosity drops to far and you loose fuel pump lubrication which means it will sieze and cause problems really expensive problems. But sticking in ten percent or so will not even be noticed by the engine it will run all day on this mix.

Sod the heater wheres my shades

Did it myself a few weeks ago. Full tank 😳

Needless to say it stopped after about 10 miles. At the recovery yard the mechanic who emptied it all out and refilled it, had all sorts of this type of experience and said:

The thing to watch out for in the future is the seals on the fuel pump. With no lubrication from the petrol they can perish. If you've got a "normal" car a pump replacement is not a big problem BUT if you have (I think he said) an Audi or a BMW, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank and its a major operation and cost.

2. Our fleet manager says that Vauxhalls don't like it at all and 2- 3000miles down the road there will be problems.

Edited by - Tiff on 19 Oct 2004 12:15:25

You'll usually get a problem pretty quickly if it is going to happen.

Diesel is used to lubricate the high pressure pump that supplies fuel to the injector rail at extremely high pressure. If petrol gets into the system, it washes off the diesel and causes the pump to seize *eek* - this is when it gets expensive...

You should be OK this time *thumbup*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

Older type diesels will have no problem, newer type with very high pressure pumps will suffer if the % is too high due to lack of lubrication. As mentioned earlier manufacturers used to recommend using a diesel/petrol mix to prevent waxing in very cold weather.

Regds

Ian