Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Grounding?

Adrian Williams

Thanks Dave, did you have a bigger problem when you used to run the 4 into 1 system?

I’m running the 4 into 1 with a 6” silencer and despite paying careful attention to the rear bracket I’m getting through a front jubilee clip (holding the guard on) in less than 2 track days, despite having stiffer than standard rear springs.

The 4 into 2 into 1 system looks like it sits a bit higher and might solve the problem.

Adrian

When I fitted my 4-2-1 I modified the 4-2 bit so that it runs level with the chassis bottom . You can see the exhaust in my photos - follow the link at the bottom of the screen ....

A new bracket may help . But if you are grounding the chassis then your are either running too low ride height , your springs are too soft or your passengers are too fat 😬

Dave

C7 TOPhere *tongue*

Adrian

I have experienced this problem but with my 7" Raceco. Lets just say that after Brands last year i have some winter welding to do.

However there are 2 simple fixes.

1. Shorten the back end of the 4 -2 - 1 or the 4 - 1 so that the "can" moves forward and the tail pipe clears the rear wing. As pointed out by others the rear bracket can then be raised or a new one manufactured.

2. You could arrange to have a set of my engine mounting spacers which lift the engine by 20mm. Clears the bonnet by 5mm. (Provides a better angle to the propshaft actually). Lifts the exhaust and provides greater ground clearance. I supose you could then lower the car again.

The results were proven this year at Brands. Whilst 2 up we didn't even ground at Paddock Hill.

MY 51VEN - R400

Give it some WELLY! Only if you have the ride height!

New sump guard being manufactured.

Adrian,

I have the same problem with the 4-1 system. The angle of my primaries appear to point downwards.

The Caterham 4-2-1 is certainly much higher, but I would rather spend the £600 on new tyres for next years club sprints.

TonyR

Thanks for that guys it certainly gives me something to think about over the winter. With the 4 into 1 it’s the front of the can that touches first, you can get the rear and tail pipe to touch as well but it’s the front that bears the brunt of it. The rear bracket mod will certainly help but I suspect won’t cure it completely with the 4 into 1, it’s the angle of the primaries that causes the problem.

Simon can you mail me a pic of the exhaust on your car please, I can then compare it with the modified one on Dave’s.

Thanks again.

Adrian