Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mallory - Thursday

Graham Perry

Yes an excellent day. I packed up just before it rained, not because I could see it coming but becuase I felt mentally tired. Its a much faster track then I was led to believe. At the end of the day I was exiting Gerrards at not far off 100mph (the fastest corner I have ever driven )and that was on standard road tyres so the level of concentration needed really did surprise me. Yes very good fun. Thx to the organisers. *thumbup*

It was also good to put some faces to names and it is a friendly circuit as they claim

Edited by - Graham Perry on 22 Oct 2004 08:20:48

Echo all the above. An excellent day all round and very enjoyable. Certainly worth the long haul up from Hampshire. Could I also say a word of thanks to my instructor, Dr John? His advice really helped in my last session - which I had to cut short, unfortunately, when I saw that big black cloud loomimg on the horizon. That last downpower was in the Suzuka hurricane class!

Thanks for organising this Geoff - it is a really good fun track which requires all the things it should, commitment, skill, speed, concentration - if only I had some of them at the same time!!

Roger's comments at the beginning were a little worrying, but so very helpful as you knew immediately what he meant about being careful with the exit from Gerrards 😳.

The highlight for me was beating Mark D to the chequered flag on one of the sessions (he was on ACB 10s after all) - even if it was to stop him lapping me!

I would be very happy to go back again and the food there is most definitely the best I have come across - probably the most important aspect *smile*

Mike

Nick - got some good video. Mostly incar, but a bit from outside when I wandered round Gerrards during a green session....I'll send it to you tomorrow (you'd better email me your address on the off-chance I have misplaced it; again 😳)

Accumulating bits for the Super-Busa. . .

Was I very much mistaken or did the chap who bent his DeDion at Gerrards somehow manage to fix it and get back out for the last hour or so?

IIRC, it was a silver/grey SL with a red interior & A021Rs- the reg was T### MAD I think. If this miracle did occur, how did it happen? Or did I just confuse cars?

You're right, it did happen and he was out re-aquainting himself with the track again for the last (after-downpour) session of the day.

A quick call to Caterham Midlands, picked up outside the circuit, back for some magic fixy stuff 😬 comprising one new De Dion, new ear and new wheel bearing and back to the track, all in 2 hours. Got to say that was excellent service but I think they could have done a quick valet and washed the mud off *wink*.

Just a quick thankyou to Geoff for a very well organised day. Even included the weather when you look at the days either side of Thursday *thumbup*. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was good to be part of such a friendly day. When's the next one *smile*?

Thanks Geoff to you and everyone else that helped. Fantastic day, excellent track, wonderful company. What more could an old saga sevener want.

PS If Mark Durrant tries to tell you I was pirouttening at the esses it is mere illusion and the camera's lying

MartinP: That's absolutely unbelieveable service *eek* I couldn't believe it when I saw the car out again after having peered at the bent DeDion myself.

Interesting how the tyre and wheel could take a knock big enough to bend a DeDion tube without sustaining any damage *confused*

Adam, I couldn't believe it either. Came back in at the end of the second session after lunch to find the car parked back where it had been earlier but with the wheel now straight.

The last time we'd chatted was along the lines of how to get home and then, after repair, whether to pay extra for delivery back home or to come back to collect it. Never thought they'd get it done in time to have another session on track, very impressed.

I'm impressed. That is an amazing outcome. I had a look at the damage and assumed he would be looking for a trailer to get home. Gives me a bit more confidence for future events.

Was that the only damage incurred during the day?

After Roger's few words at the briefing, I was expecting to come across Sevens buried in barriers all over the place.

• Support Team

I was toying with the idea of doing Mallory but I got the impression that it is just two straights with a tight bend at one end and a very big bend at the other end.

Sounds like its a bit more than than that and that I missed a cracking day

Put me down for next year Geoff

Rob