Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Storing car in manky garage!

Ozzy

Only had the 7 four months. During the winter it will have to be stored in a horrible old prefab concrete garage with asbestos roof. Anybody got anything similar, as the garage seems to be permanently damp during the winter. I dont know if I should put some form of heater in there, or possibly a fan to keep the air circulating. I'm concerned about the leather/carpets getting the dreaded mould. Is this likely? or am I worrying about nothing.

Any thoughts?

Ozzy

Still Shaking

Ozzy,

I stored my old Austin Healy Sprite in garages like this for about 8 years before I was able to buy Pelico Towers.

I had no problems. I made sure I fixed any holes in the roofs, and what did have substantial impact on one of the garages was removing all the ivy and plants growing around it so that there was nice airflow round the exteral walls.

I then used a breathable car cover made of very thick blanket type material (I got it from an advert in Classic and Sports Car in about 1990).

If you have power to the garage the answer is easy. Dehumidifier (be careful which one you buy, the one I have only works above 20 dec C, which is useless) or ideally a Carcoon (special car tent with inbuilt fan and drying unit.)

Good luck, Peter

Hi Ozzy,

Had a similar problem last year with damp, Within 2 weeks of putting my car in the garage i had rust and mould everywhere! I got myself a dehumidifier from B&Q (£80 ish) and since have had no problems. I was amazed how much water it pulls out of the air. I eventually had to have it permanently draining water outside. There has been lots on Blatchat about this in the past, so maybe worth doing a search. I would also suggest you try to get air circulating around the garage.

Good luck

regards

peter h

If its really bad and you don`t want for fork out £400 for a Carcoon. Make a wooden frame big enough for the car to drive in and cover the frame with builders polythene the stuff is called visquine used under concrete as dampproof membrane you could staple the poly sheet to the wood frame. Then run a small dehumidifier inside the poly chamber your car should not deteriorate.

Try one of these- more effective and much cheaper to run than a dehumidifier.....

http://www.garage-dri.com/

Works by keeping a constant stream of dried air passing through the garage, so that there is positive internal pressure and damp doesnt seep in through any gaps.

Still worth plugging gaps, but you dont want a total seal- need to allow the air to flow out. Stops your tools rusting too!

Its arrived! R400 KJY- still running in and struggling to stay under 5k rpm..too tempting!

I've fitted two aluminium air vent louvres on each side of the garage door to aid the airflow through the garage. It's precast with corrigated asbestos roof. I figured out I'd never be able to make it air tight so went for the full air flow method. I've even removed a panel at the back of the garage which is attached to a locked shed to increase air flow. The car does get condensation under it but once the hunidity dries up the garage dries up much quicker.

A humidifyer in my garage would only serve to try and dry the world & hios dog of moisture & cost me a fortune doing it. A parafine heater would be no use as that gives out warm moisture. But I'm now thinking of either a simple fan (to keep the air moving all the time) or something like a light bulb under the car to keep a warm dry atmosphere under the car. (bearing in mind that it couldn't be turned off if the weather was cold / damp as it would quickly induce condensation)

rog

C7 TNT (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey - it's dynamite)

http://www.seven-ecstasy.co.uk/html/stoneleigh04_64.html

Edited by - roger heeley on 18 Oct 2004 16:55:26

Just about to buy my first Se7en and a bit worried by some of the comments here....my garage is not connected to my house and is located in a block so has no electricity. Have seen paraffin greenhouse heaters though not sure I'd trust this unattended with petrol around - I assume I'd be mad to even consider one? Any other suggestions?