Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A048R 'V' CR500 In The Wet!!!

YellowSeven

I'm looking for a tyre that will perform relitively well from a few winter track outings, I dont want an out and out wet tyre as I'll be wanting to use them again in spring on a hopefully dry track.

So does anyone have any experiences of Avon CR500's and/or Yoko 48's in the wet? What performs better?

• Support Team

I have been running 48s since Easter and did Cadwell Park in fairly atrocious conditions. The bottom straight was covered with standing water which meant slow and steady was required. On the rest of the track had no problems in the varying condtions from pouring rain to a drying line and was very pleased with the tyres' performance. The drive back on a waterlogged A1 was pretty interesting but only aquaplaned on the really deep standing water.

I have since done Brands in the dry and again the tyres performed well and survived the experience without too much beading. Overall I've been pleased with the tyres and on track they are a definite step forward from the 21s I ran previously. 21s overheated badly on a dry track but were excellent on a wet track and on the road.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Yellow Seven,

Tried some 48's in the dry at Brands on Friday-very impressed and about 1/2 sec faster a lap round the Indy circuit compared to the 500's- partly helped by the gearing I think as they were 60 profile rather than 55. Seemed to be wearing well. Not tried them in the wet yet-suspect they will not be quite as good as the 500's but more than adequate - and at £52+VAT per corner they seem a good deal all round

MikeW

Mega Grad

Never tried 048r's but they are meant to be pretty good, I can't believe they will be better than a CR500 as soon as there is reasonable amounts of standing water though. The CR500's are superb in those conditions, I'm guessing in "damp"/no standing water conditions the 048r's will win out as I tend to find the even SS 032r's/ACB10's are good in these type of conditions as long as there are no puddles!

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I've done a couple of very wet track days on pretty worn 032s (SS compound) and they performed pertty well. They only stuggled and started to aqua plane quite badly when there were pools of standing water. But this was when most sensible people were hiding inside anyway!

HAve a look on Angus' website www.mycaterham.com for his bits on tyres... He seems to really rate the 048s. I'll be trying them next I think. Shame I can't get them in 16" size to fit my road wheels...