Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fatter tyes = faster

robmar

in relation to DaveJ's thread about exhaust protrusion

in terms of sprinting is it better to go for the wider tyres, especially at the rear *confused*

I have a choice for when I get my new tyres(next year) to either replace with similar width 7" on 6.5" rims or go wider as I have some of the wider MB rims which I can put on sitting in the garage 😳

I am not really interested in a debate of 7" is fine for 135BHP BTW *tongue*

rob

Rob I'm no expert as you know but I would suggest it depends on how you want to define 'best'.

If wider rubber equals more grip then starts should be improved but I suspect you might loose some chassis balance. This could always be adjusted back again with ride height etc.

What you should do is run 22" rears and not the 21" you had this year, I'm told the extra height in the sidewall has more 'give' and therefore better traction.

For what it's worth I run 7" MB rims at the rear rather than the standard 6.5 or 8.5.

Adrian

Edited by - Adrian Williams on 13 Oct 2004 14:20:32

Hi robmar

Well depends on the age of the car. 8.5 rims will not fit on mine need to have later de-dion and bars or they foul.

I can just about get away with MB 7.5" rears. Even then I need 3 mm spacers They are as MB R500 8.5" outside section and narrower inner section of the rims.

Having clam wings I have 6.5 " front but the outside and inner wheel sections are different. The front are as the rears not narrower as the MB R500. If you have thoese nasty cycle wings you can not do this.... 😬

Normally the outside sections are different width and that means they look different. Also mine makes the car 1" wider on the front.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Rob-Ialways remember thinking that it wouldn't matter much not having the largest mag rims and widest ACB 10's on my Fireblade,but it did!!Even a light car benefits from the widest,stickiest rubber available! *biggrin*

'......in yer bike!'

• 3 weeks later...

there are no control tyres in the l7 championship

basically the classes are split

class 1&2&4 - list 1a tyres

class 3&5 - list 1b

class 6 - non road legal

with a 1.6vx you can go into classes 1, 2 or 3 depending on spec

I have no idea about cr322, are they the academy control tyre 🤔, in which case they are list 1a so classes 1 & 2 are for you, but you may also be eligible for class1 *confused*

rob *confused*

Rob

Haven't really contributed to this so far but if you talk to people like BMTR they will tell you it is possible to overtyre a car for Hillclimbs and sprints. Its a fine balance between power and grip.

When I ran my previous car(not a caterham) it had 205's on the rear and their advice was that they were simply too wide for the power available, (too much effort for the engine to move additional contact area or something similar and would outway the benefits of the extra width).

When fitting my set of ACB10's they adviced not to go any wider than 7" on the rear with 140bhp for the reasons mentioned above.

With bike power I will be sticking to 6 x 21 on the front & 7 x 22 on the back *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

No doubt someone will come along to argue with all of the above so I'll shut up now, 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 12 Events and Growing *cool*

• 3 months later...

probably not far off *thumbup*

FWIW I ran 7/21/13's all round for the last 2 years

but that was more to do with what tyres came on the wheels 2nd hand

this alo meant I didn't have to change setups as my road and slick tyres where also of the same diameter

I am planning to run 7/21's at the front and 7/22s at the rear this year when I get around to ordering some[:]

rob