Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear license light

italjob

I am building a Fireblade which does not have a spare wheel hanger. And it does not have a rear license light bracket either. I wonder how does a stock license light bracket mount to the frame? Does it come with the car or it is riveted on? Thanks.

• Support Team

It is riveted on to the chassis rail at the bottom of the back panel. The bracket is just flimsy aluminium but it does the job. Nothing to stop you using a self adhesive pad or even velcro instead as the light weighs bu99er all.

Another really neat solution I read about somewhere (I think Steve foster but it's not on his website anymore) is to use a square licence plate mounted on one of the wings below the light blocks and then cut a section out of the bottom of the running light to illuminate the plate.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For MOT purposes I just got a local garage to source a light with a back plate that could be lodged behind the number plate (being careful not to scratch the paintwork). This worked fine for the MOT.

It can be removed and fitted within 5 mins.

When I obtained my SL it came with the optional rear wheel carrier. I removed this (it bolts thru the lower chassis tube) and fitted a new number plate light & braket such that I can now interchange between the clean looking SL rear or spare carrying 'tourer'.

CC sell the bracket and light. I found the easiest way to attach the bracket was to drill the chassis tube & use self tapping screws (so I can remove it to fit the carrier if I want to).The wiring to the light is now bullet connected so its simple to swap over.

Hope that makes sense?

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool*

My kit came without a bracket for the number plate lamp (either pre-fitted or in a box), but instead of delaying the build of my car further a conveniently-placed household radiator bracket cut down to size to fit the length of the light and riveted to the rear most chassis rail works just as well 😬 *thumbup*

RW04FUN

1736 miles.....running in nicely 😬

Italjob, I've got some number plate lights which are led and are less than 1/2" thick like a bolt. The head has an allen key slot. They are designed to screw a number plate light on. I've got one each side of my rear stick-on number plate. You may see them on the link below (not sure witjout looking myself). If you want I'll look up where I got them, but I know they're US sourced. Fitted to Custom Cars I believe.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here