Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heating

MAK

I intend to drive my SV through the winter as much as possible, hopefully with the roof down, however its starting to get cold.

Now I am not thinking about me, but the other half. Has anyone out there found an effective way of improving/supplementing the standard heater system?

A deerstalker! 😬 sorry couldn't resist.

So far my wife gets well wrapped up, jumper, thick coat, hat, scarf, gloves etc. then have to spend the first 5mins adjusting the seat belt 😬. Other than that sorry can't help but will follow thread with interest *thumbup*

Green and Ali 1600 X-Flow

• Support Team

The only way to keep the heat in without the hood is to keep your speed down - i.e. avoid motorways! My wife has a pair of fleece lined walking trousers that are very effective and combined with a decent jacket (skiwear is ideal) and a good hat keeps her very warm. Headwear is the most important thing so look for something that is windproof - you can get some pretty decent fleece hats with a windproof lining that will keep your head nice and warm. Likewise gloves - to keep the thickness down you'll need a windproof lining. For really cold days. M&S do a furry lined hat that comes down over the ears and back of the head - might not be the epitome of sartorial elegance but it does the job. Finally - get an Autocom or similar as the headsets will keep your ears nice and toasty 😬.

Happy winter blatting - we have used our car all throught the past two winters in some pretty cold conditions and you can't beat a good blat on a crisp frosty morning *thumbup*. Sadly car is in pieces for a winter rebuild so none of that for us ☹️.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I blatted all last winter in my SV.

I find the Caterham beanie hat is warm enough, and for gloves I got some leather proper driving gloves from Grand Prix racewear. They are thin, but have been enough to keep my hands warm down to 0C so far! I did get some wind-stopper gloves to use initially but found that I just couldn't grip the wheel well enought, even though they were thin.

My legs don't seem to get cold at all... the heater in the SV seems quite good at keeping things warm down there...

Jacket wise I have a brilliant down filled jacket I pick up in Canada. Its is windproof and shower proof, and the down fill means the harness fits over it well still. Again, down to 0C I had no problems.

As I've just gone aero screened I'm going to be buy a proper-job biggles leather flying helmen and goggles from www.holden.co.uk to keep me warm through this winter...

wil second the Chilli waistcoats - excellent. Although you then notice how cold your arms are . .. .

And am I the only one to find a draught comes around behind the seat and freezes the LHS?

Used to use a heaterless Westie and never really noticed the cold - and had a few scrape the ice off both sides of the screen jaunts. Maybe I was just younger and dafter?

Bri