Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow Ign. Timing - Help!

GaryDrew

What was a quick job to install a new distributor to my X-Flow has resulted in a big miss-fire mess!

I've read the useful discussions on the causes of miss-fires, but I'd like to know what 'INITIAL' and 'TOTAL' IGNITION ADVANCE I should be aiming for.

The engine is a X-flow with 244 cam which ran perfectly with the old distributor. I suspect that the new 'performance' distributor has an advance curve that gives less total advance. I have set the initial advance (900rpm) at about 10 degress 'cos this is what worked before! I haven't yet marked-up the pulley to read off the new total advance, but it looks too little.

It now idles nicely but bangs and miss-fires as the revs and load increase. So .... what timing does my X-Flow want?

Many thanks in anticipation ...

Gary, Brighton

I would expect to see more like 14 degrees static advance with a 244 cam although this may cause 'kick-back' and starter straining , with total advance of between 34 and 36 deg which should be all-in by 4000 or so RPM, I would mark these points on the timing pulley and check to see where you are at idle and at 5000RPM.

If you are misfiring as badly as it sounds then maybe you have another problem, apologies for any offence but you have double checked that the leads are connected the right way round?.

Oily

Thanks, that helps to confirm my feeling that the initial advance is too low to give the correct advance as the revs pick up. I'll mark-up the pully and see if the increased advance results in a total advance of 34-36 as you say.

Come to think of it, when adjusting the initial advance to 10 deg, the engine increased speed as I played around and turned the dizzy more advanced. This indicated that it was wanting more initial advance than 10 deg.

Yup, checked the plug leads early on!

BTW, a 'clown' at Burton suggested that I set the initial advance at 6 deg! So that was helpful ... perhaps I dialed Burton the Tailor's by mistake.