Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mounting K-series to Clarke engine stand

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Having got the engine out of the car I want to bolt it to the Clarke engine stand I bought from Machine Mart. Gearbox is off but the clutch cover gets in the way.

Has anyone used this type of stand (it has 4 arms that can be moved in slots on the stand to give a universal fit) to mount a K-series engine? Any tips gratefully received.

Will I have to take the clutch and flywheel off? If so anyone got a link to some instructions?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Can't speak for the K, but I mounted my Toyota engine on one of these and had to remove the clutch & flywheel in order to get enough clearance. Not such a big deal - I just marked with paint so that I could install the clutch and flywheel in exactly the same positions upon reassembly. A Haynes manual should have instructions.

Alternative is to mount the engine sideways on (ie. through the engine mount holes) - I think others have done this?

Lobbying Caterham for a new badge....

• Support Team

Thanks folks. I do need to replace the clutch so it has to come off at some time - now's as good a time as any. Is it straightforward? I don't have a Haynes manual - should I get one (and which one)?

Mark - when I come to put the new clutch in then yes please to borrowing the tool.

Keith - neat idea and I can see the advantages but as I have to take the clutch off anyway I'll try that route first.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

I've currently got my K series suspended on an engine stand without removing flywheel or clutch. I used 4 long threaded studs screwed into four holes on the exhaust side of the engine - there are four which are on the same "plane". I screwed the studs in using a pair of nuts locked against one another (but not too tight), then mounted the engine stand "head" (ie the bit with the four arms) and then hoisted the whole thing onto the engine stand.

If you want a piccie, let me know and I can send you one.

Dave

Shaun

clutch is easy, undo the 6 bolts holding it on and pull it off by hand. Caterham's the place to get a new one, I think they only sell the complete cover and plate now, also change the clutch release bearing while you are at it *smile*

Mark

• Support Team

Thanks for your replies. I'll take the clutch off anyway but will try the side mounting as that will make changing the clutch easier. Dave YHM.

Ferrino - lightened flywheel already there but you should see the rest of the budget 😬. It's a real shame there are these carbon manufacturers competing so hard to be best product/best price *tongue*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Leadership Team

If you're planning to remove the front crank pulley, mount the engine on the stand in the usual manner without the flywheel in place. When you come to reassemble everything at the front of the engine the pulley bolt will need torquing to 200Nm (IIRC).The easiest way to stop things turning when tightening the front bolt is to use a length of steel bolted to the back of the crank via the flywheel mounting holes - locked from turning against the arms of the engine stand. I got this trick from Dave Andrews *thumbup*

Stu.

I did the very same thing just a few months ago. I used some studding and lots of nuts (20 or so + penny and normal washers. Pretty cheap from Focus etc)). I think it was 12 mm but check first. 2 into the top of the block (into bellhousing holes) and two through the bearing ladder. Use the nuts to lock stud against arms and position enging for clearance. I think using a fixing point on the side is a better option though. Bearing ladder is a bugger to get off with 2, foot long 12mm steel bars through it...

Piers

• 10 months later...
I've currently got my K series suspended on an engine stand without removing flywheel or clutch. I used 4 long threaded studs screwed into four holes on the exhaust side of the engine - there are four which are on the same "plane". I screwed the studs in using a pair of nuts locked against one another (but not too tight), then mounted the engine stand "head" (ie the bit with the four arms) and then hoisted the whole thing onto the engine stand.

If you want a piccie, let me know and I can send you one.

Dragging this kicking and screaming into 2005. *smile*

I've just built my Clarke engine stand and was trying to figure out the best way to mount my 1600K to it. I've removed the alternator and those threads in that area look like good candidates to me as you seem to suggest. I'll be stripping the engine completely so will need to have just the block mounted.

Dave if you still have that picture I'd be really grateful to see it (tim@timskipper.net).

Can someone confirm the correct size of studding I need?

- Tim

Caterham 7 - BMW E30 M3 - Nissan Navara

Edited by - _Tim_ on 23 Aug 2005 19:22:02