Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Playin' wiv da t yre pressures !!!

CHRIS CLARK

Well, in an attempt to improve the handling of my Seven, we've gone down the road of pressure changes.

My 15" 'Prisoners' shod with Yoko 520's have a recommended pressure of 19 PSI. I have now got it set at 12 front and 14 rear & it seems a lot better! That also seems pretty drastic to me.

I remember taking Phil Stewarts (Road & Race Transmissions) V/X car out and found the steering heavy but 'reliable' and it felt very positive (22% rack too). A couple of weeks later he informed me that the pressures were 10 front and 12 rear. A bit extreme,(and I believe he's upped them a bit now) but it worked well.

question.gif What are people using (on the 'K' machinery particularly) etc.? Bearing in mind this is for road use only.

PS. I also have a set of 13" Minilites with AO 21's fitted, but just haven't fitted them yet!!!

12 and 14 sounds very low for low profile radial tyres.

Also, I tend to find that having more pressure at the front than back works better, though this may be due to the Vx lump.

I also run A520's but on 14 inch wheels. They seem to be pretty crap for my car whatever the pressures!! They are good value and last forever though, and also prefectly adequate for road use. I run these at 20psi all round cos I can't be bothered to do otherwise for road use.

Alex

Thanks Alex.

I find that with 19 PSI the tyres don't take out any of the road shock at all. It feels as if the things are rock solid. Yes, I know this is also a feature of spring rate/dampers, but you must have a cast iron b.m and enjoy the tingly feeling through the steering wheel!

Chris,

Supersprint DD,YokoA520,18 psi all round.

The damper rate is as you suggest well involved in this process ,and I bet you have yours well away from thr first detente.For road work I set Spax at 1 click f,2 clicks rear.

Tracks or fast running quite different.This could be +6 and +9.

By the way standard springs.

The observation that Phil has changed settings prob illustrstes the concensus towards late rather than ealy teens.Vrey much personal but I would suspect up PSI and down clicks.

Have fun.

I am running 13" 021's. 205 rear 185 fronts.

To get even wear across them I have to run 15 psi front 15.5 rear!

anything more and the middle wears quicker than the sides. A pyrometer would tell you the same thing but quicker.

12 does seem a bit low. The tyre might pop off at that low pressure!

"All Yoko tyres should be set at 24 psi when hot and I mean 'hot'."

This was the advice given to me by Rob of ProTune (very nice guy, with a lot of knowledge) whilst at Magny Cour on the Euro tour and it worked a treat. The car has never handled so well. This equates to around 20 psi when cold.

However on the road I run them at around 17/18 as they wear more evenly and is more comfortable. However on a smooth track, the higher pressures worked very well indeed.

Have played around with my K pressures- 15" Prisoners and Michelins (very staid I know ).Started 18 ,mistakenly convinced myself 20 was better and find 18 fine except for track work(which I do less than seriously ) and find 16.5 -17 fine as long as you let them get a bit of heat in - big oversteer on mine before they do- and Im not overendowed with power (or much else come to that except indebtedness...)with 130 bhp (allegedly)1.4S/S

John A.

I've changed to the 13" Minilites with the Yoko 21R's and 'think' the acceleration feels better. I have documentary evidence (Dave Walkers RR!) that on that day my 1400 SS made 133BHP. Yours should be about the same!!

Haven't given it a long run to determine if the handling is better or not!

Richard,

Over 3,000 miles, 3 track days (one in the wet), road miles include hacking through the Alps (Euro2001 tour) and the wear is pretty even. Like I say, I drop the tyre pressure when on the road and whilst on the track I have got them pretty hot and the outer edges seem to take a bit of a beating.