Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Advice sought - minor meeting with a verge today

ziplobb

Came out of a bend a bit wrong today and managed to meet a small patch of water - anyway car went accross road - managed to keep it pointed the right way but ended up at 45 deg into grass verge about 6/7 " above road level - I am fine - car seems to drive fine although i went no more than 35mph home but i have inspected it and cant find anything obvious - lots of grass & dirt on sump and down one side - no other visible damage

Point is - what sort of stuff should i be looking for and head is telling me to get the car professionally checked out before i try to 'make progress' again ??

Jai

I now have a red 91 Supersprint

Happy days. Did the verge thing myself last year! Make sure you check the cross member that supports the gearbox. The cross-member is a fairly thin bit of tin. I'm fairly sure mine got damaged when I went off road. I didn't look for, or notice, any problem at the time but, some months later, I realised the gear stick was disappearing down into the transmission tunnel. It turned out that the cross-member had probably got torn slightly as the car rode over the verge or maybe some rocks or roots. It then gradually stress-fractured some more as the miles piled up and, as it gradually failed, the gearbox sank slowly and surely closer the road!

The cross-member is especially vulnerable at the 90 degree bends which run front to back.

Still, it was a cheap and simple fix - just had it welded back together again.

I've come off race tracks at 3 times that speed (literally), bounced over uneven grass and crashed into a tyre stack on one occasion, and bounced and bounced and bounced sideways, thinking I was going to tip over any minute, on another occasion. I've had other "occasions" too, and never had any issues with the basic chassis. I've had to have the rear re-panelled and new plastic parts, but nothing more serious than that.

Se7ens are pretty strong but you *should* get it laser-tracked to be sure.