Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

190 bhp from a 1600 k?

Red SLR

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to get my K modified?

I have fitted D2HTBs and ECU back in April, and now am looking for more power.

Has anyone got a 1600K in this state of tune? How does it drive, is it reliable?

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT

I always do this but go to dave andrews web site this will tell you how to best modify your 1.6 head etc. unfortunatly i dont have the address but if you look at alex wong's site then it should be on there then it just a case of getting the head work done and fitting it all in simple but I think for the cost of a second hand 1.8 lump from the scrapy with a rebuild you might as well do this at the same time then plus 200 is possible.

Keith Pickering

superlight T7 KCP

There are plenty of 1600Ks at the 180-190 level, above 180 requires a lot more cam, namely 1227/835 and bigger than 30mm valves necessitating head insertion or a VVC head, forged pistons are a must over 180BHP/7800. I know of a half a dozen or so 1600Ks at the 180/185BHP level using 740 cams and they report the performance as stonking with no lack of drivability, just a wall of torque, some of these have been running for 2-3 years (Johnty Lyons, Kev Strawbridge etc.) with no reliability problems.

Oily

I had my 1600 upgraded by Arrowstar recently. It wasn't cheap and did involve some other pain, but has resulted in about 180BHP.

The installation has worked fine for the last 750 Miles, and it's in on Monday for some "fine tuning on the Dyno" and a bigger exhaust. Happy to tell you more if need be.

I didn't have the time to DIY, so I had to pay someone else to do it :-(

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer i'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."

I think Roger King is getting involved with K's these days (he's certainly been involved with Peter Carmichael's and Andrew Dent's). As an engine man of some repute you could do much worse.

Powertrain projects sell off the shelf complete units for what are reasonable sums if you're having to have someone do the work for you (cheap it is not!).

My (2nd) head was sorted by a head shop called CTM. They're down here somewhere though am not sure where (Ratrace put it all together for me). It's pushing out about 200bhp (1800) from 740 cams and is an absolute pussy cat to drive (save for a piss poor map at about 2500 revs which I still need to get sorted, but only girls drive down there anywhere smile.gif). It also makes an awesome noise.

Now for the words of warning.

There are many people who have had this sort of thing done with very little or no issues. BUT if things do go wrong it can lead to all sorts of pain, tears and wallet emptying. I've been exceptionally unlucky (I think) but suffered an original head that was dropped and broken by Securicor (real shame because it was a DVA masterpiece). Head no.2 was fine, until 5k miles when it developed a crack between exhaust ports on one cylinder (luckily noticed at an earlier stage due before it really went awol).

It's now been repaired and seems to have survived some fair hammer on Le Sept, but problems do happen when you're taking engines towards the limits and fixing them is very far from cheap unless you have the know how to sort it yourself.

CTM will sort you out with a ported head, valves and cams of your choice for about 1k. If you provide all the bits it's about 500. Takes about a week to sort out. Other places may be cheaper. And the tax man also wants 17.5% remember.

My advice these days, if you have to have the work done for you, is to seriously consider buying a full engine from Powertrain or somewhere similar. You can keep your old engine so that you can retain matching numbers (resale value) and thus have a spare should the new one go wrong, it's quicker to get it all together and ultimately won't work out that much more expensive (if at all - it may even be cheaper). I think you also get a warranty.

Minister also sell complete units but these guys are a fair bit more pricey than Powertrain from my research.

Contact me if you want. I can give more info as needed.