Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SLR running CR500 tyres - pressures?

Jas

Thanks John.

I've got the car now and note the manual recommends 18/18, so I put that in at the weekend.

I'll try reducing the fronts and see what change that makes. I presume it should understeer a bit then.

Might be a good idea though, as I find the car a real handful and it tends to oversteer easily. Great fun though smile.gif but not as much outright grip as my Elise S2.

Jas

Edited by - Jas on 6 Aug 2001 11:50:14

Don't forget you've got an lot more on tap than your Elise so be careful with that right foot. You may also want to play around with your rear ARB and perhaps try softening it off. Also check the rear camber. An SLR delivered from Caterham has ACB10's with 0.25 deg neg camber Dedion ears. Not everyone change the ears when they change the tyres. CR500's are a radial and require about 1.5 deg neg camber, so if you are running 0.25 deg neg then I would expect you to be seeing oversteer on the limit.

Andy,

Thanks for the considered advice smile.gif

I suspect my camber setting should be ok as the car is still on the original tyres - it came with CR500 tyres as standard. It had only done 1200 miles.

I am 100% certain the cause of the overtseering is, as you say, my right foot. I am used to putting down all the Elise's power mid bend. The Elise can do this as it has less power, more weight over the rear wheels, and rear suspension that copes better.

Driving the SLR is going to be a real learning experience biggrin.gif

Thanks again,

Jas