Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Birthday Meal Advice Needed

Boonie Hound

I have a sneaking feeling I asked this last year.

It's Mrs B's birthday on the 18th and so as we daren't leave Daniel R400 (sad I know) and cos I'm a cheapskate I'm going to cook her a special meal.

Please can I have your suggestions - remember I can burn water.

Over to the collective wisdom of the shed

How about Asparagus with Lemon Butter Crumb for a starter? Very easy. Add some breadcrumbs to melted butter in a pan and cook until brown. Add some lemon zest, and sprinkle over your gently steamed asparagus. Serve with lemon wedges.

Everytime I've cooked this people have enjoyed it, yet it's soooo simple to do.

Alternatively if you want a non-veggie starter anti-pasta always goes down well. On a plate arrange some good quality deli-style meat (salami, proscuitto etc), add some quartered hard-boiled eggs (quails eggs are good), some olives & sun-dried tomatoes et voila! You can prepare this in advance, so it's one less thing to worry about. You can vary the meats or use shell-on prawns or even tuna fish. If you are going fishy some caper berries are good instead of/as well as the olives.

I'll have a think about some mains & puds.

*wink*

Mrs GTD

With the interwebfingy you never need a recipe book again *tongue*

try www.uktvfood.co.uk

or www.bbc.co.uk/food

Choose your favouritist bits (like salmon and mushrooms and baked beans and chocolate and icecream and bananas) and hit the "find recipe" button

Drool 😳

PS: Mav - Brown sauce is NOT an ingredient, its a dressing *tongue*

At last - The insurance company have got their finger out 😬

See the old Barbarella here...

FH will no doubt have loads of wonderful culinery tips 😬

My tuppence worth..........My favourite easy starters are mozarella with tomato and basil - very simple but loverly with black pepper and a bit of olive oil *thumbup*

or spicy prawns - roughly chop tomatoes, fry in a little olive oil, add fresh chilli and black pepper, then the prawns. Servce with fresh brown bread and lemon wedges........ *smile*

Easy mains - spaghetti carbonara or lasagne (on the italian theme), chicken in mushroom,white wine and creme fraiche (in the oven for ages so needs no attention), or something like a fondue or tortillas, which are very shareable and hands on.

I don't like puds so I'm not your woman there - but M&S sounds like a winner to me 😬

I'm sure it'll be lovely whatever you cook

Well, I could fill up all of The Headmaster's webspace with suggestions but not only would I be in trouble for that, but you'd all have rumbly tumblies, just reading them *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Soooo, Boonie - appreciating that you can burn water *eek* gi'us a clue as to the sort of things Mrs Boonie chooses when you do go out for a meal and I'll offer up some 'simplified' versions if you like 😬

Oh, and BTW, say "Happy Birthday" to Mrs B from the FHs at the appropriate moment *biggrin*

FH *cool*

Rossssssssssssssss

You pay for it and I'll give it a go

As long as "it" doesn't block my drive

Paullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Supercheese R250

Damn!

That was top of my list! *mad*

But I could have great fun browsing the yellow pages... 😬

Rrrrrrrrossssssssssssssssssssss

THE

Sssssssssssssssssssssssscottish

Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssnot!!! 😬

TOO BUSY BLATTING NOW!!! 😬 😬 😬