Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec throttle response.

magnusfeuer

Here is a mapping question from California.

I have a Zetec that always had a lousy blip throttle response from idle. Higher up it is OK.

I've added a supercharger, (www.californiacaterhamclub.com/gallery), but this problem existed before it was installed.

When I blip the throttle I can hear a sharp intake of air through the throttle body, but it takes about 0.2 seconds for the engine to respond.

I run a Pectel T6 (with a wide band O2 sensor) equipped with a home brewed map.

The engine idles just fine and nice.

I've played with transient fueling at different levels with different ramps, to no avail.

The only way to get a better throttle response from idle is to run it so rich that it starts to smoke (Lambda at 0.80) and sound like a Harley. Not really an altenative.

I haven't messed with this lately, so the details (such as idle valve management, etc) are a bit hazy. If this topic raises any interest, I'd be happy to dive into it again.

Thanks!

/Magnus F.

magnus.feuer@californiacaterhamclub.com

Yes.

The wideband oxygen (lambda) sensor lets me monitor the air/fuel ratio as I drive.

It currently gives 0.88 at idle, which is maybe a tad rich, but should be OK.

Transient fuelling is another issue. This is the ECU equivalent to the accelation pump on a carb. I've tried different settings to no avail.

I am thinking that maybe advancing the ignition would help.

/Magnus F.