Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SLR parts for sale - TBs and MEMS

jimmyslr

I am not sure of the market for these, so will consider reasonable offers. I get to define reasonable 😬

TBs - Rover KV6 ("swan-neck") throttle bodies/manifold - these are the ones fitted on earlier SLRs. These have had the IACV gubbins removed (this is a good thing in my book) and were working fine in conjunction with my emerald (not for sale/included!) when they came off a few weeks ago. DVA did some internal fettling of the mouth castings last week when we got them off (so better than when I had them on). Good condition (7k miles), with filter and filter plate. They are in DVA's shed

MEMs unit - the silver box that controls your engine. It's one to work with a 1999 SLR VHPD engine. No wiring, just a box. This is in Farnham.

Email me with offers.

James

I've just used the same Tbs on my VVC solid cam conversion in conjunction with the M3D. 148 lbft @ 6091rpm & 182bhp @ 6900 *thumbup* *thumbup*

IACV rail juncked and blanked off (ps won't fit anyway under VVC head). Removed the plastic butterfly inserts & soldered up the holes.

I wouldn't put them on any less than a 1.8 as there 45 chokes. If the monies humble I'd recommend them.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV. R400 eng mods completed...next stap mapping.

I'm convinced that my original swan-necked TB's were in no way limiting my peak power, even when I was at 200bhp. I only changed because some sexy Jenvey's came up at the right price at the same time as someone offered me cash for the original TB's. Had those events not occurred at the same time I'd still be using the original TB's now, to great effect.

I hated the IACV rail. It made getting the whole shebang off a trial, but as these appear to come without the rail, and the interface is blanked off, I'd say they are a good budget TB-system.

Interested In the vhpd throttle bodies, any idea how much you want for them?

Not being to familiar with the early vhpd set up I assume you are selling everything I need to bolt them straight on to a std 1800 k series head (bodies, manifold, fuel rail, injectors, trumpets, throttle linkage etc)

Thanks

Phil

Phil Smith

Limegreen 1.8 Superlight No. 89 *biggrin*

• Leadership Team

James,

You might not want to hear this - 18 months ago I bought a set of the same TBs for £100 - complete with trumpets, backplate, filter and throttle cable *eek* - the trumpets and backplate are KV6 specific so unfortunately can't be used with a Jenvey setup. Since the racers have all switched to roller barrels there's been plenty of the old ones available! Mine actually havethe IACV still fitted and it works nicely *thumbup*

Stu.

Stu.... for airflow reasons I removed the plastic insert on the butterflys.... they have a c.2.5-3mm leading edge that opens into the airflow. In the interests of physics don't ask me if there is an engineering advantage..... it just seemed the right thing to do.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV. R400 eng mods completed...next stap mapping.

• Leadership Team

I know the plastic pieces you mean - IIRC they're located by a couple of "slpit" screws in each butterly. Without them in place, do the butterflies close completely, or is there a gap? I always assumed they had something to do with creating a perfect closure at idle, idle then being achieved by the IACV. The fact that the butterfly is split into 2 components could be a manufacturing method used to keep costs down in order to achieve a good seal, and balance within the single body *confused*

To a potential purchaser - don't do like I did and parafin bath clean the TBs - without a complete stripdown, the butterfly spindles are a sod to re-lubricate when you cleaned ALL the old oil out *mad*

Stu.

In the interests of full and frank information, and as both Phil and Richard are expressing an interest subject to various queries at the same time, here is my knowledge. Not too deep I am afraid, but it might help.

Phil - What you get is TBs, filter, trumpets, plate, throttle linkage and manifold. You do not get the fuel rail/injectors or throttle cable. I kept the injectors as they unplugged straight from the TBs I'm selling into some Jenveys I was fitting, same goes for throttle cable.

Richard - I got your email. I am not sure if they bolt straight-on to a 1.6 EU3. Caterhams are rarely that straightforward and I am not familiar with your throttle linkage, fuel rail/injectors etc.

Bear in mind the IACV gubbins is blanked-off and hence if you are using MEMs ECU in situ you will probably have a problem (as that uses IACV). To be honest I am not sure of all the alternative ways these might be used. They will definitely work very happily with an Emerald which does not need IACV as evidenced by V7 and Timbo.

I will sell for £100 with buyer collecting from Dave Andrews. If you wanted help doing the work then Dave might be your man. I am afraid I cannot give any guarantees as to whether they will work with various different set-ups as my knowledge is not good enough.

A set of Jenveys and filter etc is £600 by way. These are a bit less good in terms of idle/progression, but as V7 points out the power difference would be tiny.

Edited by - jimmyslr on 6 Oct 2004 19:09:40

Quote:

"Richard - I got your email. I am not sure if they bolt straight-on to a 1.6 EU3. Caterhams are rarely that straightforward and I am not familiar with your throttle linkage, fuel rail/injectors etc"

They will bolt straight on to the 1.6 on the VHPD manifold. (I used them on my last EU3 1.6K, with M3Dk, competition exhaust, fast road cams from DVA (ps. I still have the cams, I think there is a 1000 miles on them). You'll be able to fit your std fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure sensor, map sensor, throttle pot from the original 1.6K plenum. Get a VVC inlet manifold gasket aswell as the plenum seal is very different. You'll need a different throttle cable, the std cable is too short.

Quote:

"Bear in mind the IACV gubbins is blanked-off and hence if you are using MEMs ECU in situ you will probably have a problem (as that uses IACV)"

You WON'T be able to run the TBs on the mems. Get an Emerald! Forget the IACV altogether. A mapped idle will surfice very abley.

The VHPDs are 45 chokes which are oversized for the 1600cc. It'll run fine when mapped correctly but perhaps not as well as a smaller TB choke due to loss in intake airspeed.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm and 182bhp @ 6900rpm of cheese power

Forgot to add:

at a £100 notes they are spot on value *thumbup*

Stu, the butterflies close completely with the plastic section removed. I don't fully understand their purpose, but the more I think about it your on the right lines re. creating an improved air seal at fully closed position.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm and 182bhp @ 6900rpm of cheese power

From the description the plastic wedges are there to give a more progressive light throttle response to the throttle disc by opening the throttle bore more gradually.

How effective it is (couldn't say but presumably Rover specified it for a reason) you would have to test both configurations back to back but the wedge removed scenario 'should' give more airflow at the limit due to smaller cross section of the wide open throttle.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

DVA once thought that those plastic discs might be to offset the upper and lower part of the airflow when they TB's were fitted to the KV6, so that they feed equal amounts of air to each bank of cylinders.

It was just a theory. Sounded good enough to me.

Jimmy, I think Myles offered you £100 previously, but you were after more at the time. He called me today to reiterate his offer. He's currently not got access to the internet so if he's won the item please can you let me know. Thanks.

Jimmy - I'm in an airport lounge - this is the only net access I've got (I've been in limbo for weeks).

Just to reiterate - yep, I'll take them for £100 if that's OK with you - but as I've not got net access for the next few weeks (airports aside), please let V7 know if I win (or not).

DVA has my head at the moment - so collection/fitting is not an issue.

Thanks and regards - and apologies for not getting back to you on your earlier offer.

Myles

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles (and V7) - Sorry but I have sold them to Tricky Dicky above. I had little joy with my previous advert a few weeks ago and although you said you might be interested, but not at that price, there was no price mentioned in your note and you suggested I crack-on with a general sale if I wanted to. Apologies if I misunderstood. The ex-racer point above might be a fruitful line of enquiry? I was certainly not inundated with offers so I guess that means sellers outweigh buyers.