Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Routing Exhaust to rear ..question

Bare

Have heard tell repeatedly,, Here and elswhere that rear exiting Exhausts end up re circulating into the driver's area /nose.. Always seemed reasonable.. much like drivng back from the Lumberyard with a load not allowing the Hatch to close.. Cockpit unpleasantly fills with the Car's own exhaust.

After many years of Exhaust exiting by my Left ear I'm motivated enough to finally do something about it. A colleague recently bought a one owner series 3, it has a rear exhaust fitted as OEM .

It does NOT fill the cockpit with it's own exhaust.. contrary to what I have been led to believe..there is no exhaust smell whatsoever.. just like any other 'convertible' in actuall fact.

Now my question is:

why is his car exhibiting a 'Different Reality' than the many stories of ugly exhauist recirculation from a rear exiting exhaust ..Has someone been fibbing ?? :-) Or is there some unknown to me reason why his 7 contradicticts popular Story?

His car's is approx 1" behind the left rear corner of the Body.. before the curve leading to the fender rear., he also does not bother to fit his Tonneau cover.. if that offers some explanation.

Sole reason for this is I really do want to reroute my exhaust.. but 'doing it right' is a fairly involved effort, and I'd hate to discover in the end that my Friends' 7 is the Sole Anomally :-)

Not sure of course but it may be due to slight differences in exit tip position/direction. I definitely had that annoying problem (exit 3" inboard of the body edge) and changed to side exhaust. This also allowed for better exhaust gas flow and I can take off the exhaust in 2 minutes.

I guess that cars with full windscreen are more susceptible to exhaust fume backdraft because of the huge vortex created by that angled plate.

Gert

Edited by - Slomove on 3 Oct 2004 05:59:12

s4's had rear exit as standard - makes sense to me, and my wife's leg does'nt get burnt either - definitely worth having - less for her to moan about everytime we go out in the car!!!

so try an s4 exhaust ought to easy to fit to s3, and available off the shelf from cc or redline

s4's had rear exit as standard - makes sense to me, and my wife's leg does'nt get burnt either - definitely worth having - less for her to moan about everytime we go out in the car!!!

so try an s4 exhaust ought to easy to fit to s3, and available off the shelf from cc or redline

I'm considering moving to side exit as both my wife and I are fed up of the smell. You actually notice it more on your clothes when you get home, other indicators are sore throat and sometimes headaches. Just can't get used to changing something that ain't broke...problem is it isn't going to break for years, I'm sure we will go for the plunge next year. Have already replaced shocks and seats *wink*

For ref: 1985 1600 Xflow

Green and Ali 1600 X-Flow

1989 xflow 1700 with rear exit. I also use it with screen/side screens and occasionally without, and with aero. Have never been aware of exhaust fumes in any of these configurations (no complaints from passengers either), even when the engine was in serious need of a rebuild - I think the people in the car behind were often aware of it though!!

I am going to replace it in the next few months to get better breathing - so if you want to by a used Caterham system.......

I will be sorry to lose it - not many of us left. Last track day I did I was told that I got a brilliant flame out of it on overrun - I can believe it from the lovely pops and bangs. Still at the moment a slight edge in performance is priority.

Mike

Mine had a rear exhaust when i bought it and never had any problems with fumes etc. My big problem was keep knocking it of or grounding the rear clamp and grinding it off. Does give an F1 appearance when a shower of sparks goes out the back. So no probs on my car. I went the other way and back to a side exhaust cos i like the flames and noise. If you want a rear silencer and tail pipe give me a shout and make me an offer one stainless set spare.

Rust Red

1993 1700 xflow with rear exhaust - driven mainly without sidescreens but have used them when on longer journeys - no problem with exhaust fumes.

Have used once with hood up again no fumes but it took me so long to erect that I have decided to just get wet in future.

Peter