Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best List 1b tyre

Mark Durrant

I am considering my options for 2005 and was wondering what is the best List 1b tyre. Looking at this years championship people seem to use either 24 compound ACB10's of supersoft Yoko 32R's. Has anyone tried both and what do you recommend.

See you at Brands *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 29 Sep 2004 18:50:21

you don't want to waste you rmoney on list 1b tyres especially those nasty compound 24 acb's, you will be lucky to see 100 miles and they will cost over a 100 quid a corner ☹️ where is the sense in that[:] beter to spend your money on something else imo 😬

better to stay with list 1a I reckon *thumbup* I ams ure us class 3 boys can have a whip around and buy you some pilups as Allen says

rob

PS yes the top 4 runners in class3 all ran compound 24's *thumbup*

Mark

32SS are no good at all could only come 5th in class3 with them. have you thought about 32 S, will give you the sort of times that class 3 will be happy for you to get.

Next year you could prove that 32 s is the tyre to be on, give it a go and will see how you get on 😬

now where is the Avon web site 😬

David

Well thanks for the offer of paying for the tyres but that would mean one class would miss out of the feel good factor, so I was thinking that classes 2 &3 could club together in order that I could trade in the current car for an R500 and enter in classes 4 or 5 😬 *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Considering my options for 2005

Reading the regs classes 1 to 5 are for road going spec cars. But to use ACB10 24's surely you would not be able to drive to an event. So to be competive you need tyres that last 200 miles, a trailer and towcar *confused*

PB

Mark

You acuse me of being devious yet here you are playing Class 2 off against Class 3, you obviously fancy your chances after this year, or have you heard about the new rule changes 🤔 🤔 🤔

I was going to leave this till the awards do but we are imposing a new ruling that the winner of each Class must move up a class in the following year so they all eventually end up in Class 6 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2004 Speed Championship - 9 events, 2005 Speed Championship - Watch this space *cool*

Rob,

I can understand the benefits of using a trailer, however using acb10 24's @ £100 a corner and around 200miles life in road going class seem a little OTT and you have little choice than trailer to events, unless someone takes a set of wheels to the venue in their tin top.

Rather than the regs state List 1B surely it would be better to have a list for the classes 3 and 5 e.g. A048R, CR500, 32R. ACB10 33's etc.

PaulB

pb

I drove to the 1st two events. I saw 2 cars have incidents on one day that would not have been able to drive home(both had trailer.

I used CR500 on the 1st event and as I felt they were not compedative I got some 32R SS. Rob lent me his tyre rack. It would have been silly to use the 32 SS on the road as they would not last that long.

I bought a trailer as I was unable/unwilling to give it 10/10 at the event becouse I needed to get home . I also would have put on lots of motorway miles on the 7 and have to increase my limited milage insurance. Motorway miles in the rain with an aero screen or siting in a tow car no contest. If you think I soft, so be it, but my 1st 7 did 42k miles in just 2 1/2 years as it was my only car so have the tee-shirt.

I will have acb 10 A24 next year as long a I have the money, If people wish to keep the cost of their motorsport down then class2 and 4 give them this opertunity.

David

A24 ACB10s last a lot longer than people think and aren't as soft as people think. I did the 2002 and 2003 seasons on one set. I did 2004 on a new set (wow, three events!), but I also did all my road mileage this year (which did measure in *hundreds* of miles, if not thousands) on the same tyres and I just did the club Brands Hatch trackday on them also. They are still legal. It is a pain to keep swapping wheels, so I prefer my one solution for all conditions - wet or dry I have used big fat ACB10s.

But yes, I do trailer to events - mostly because of my habit of picking up speeding tickets when driving a dayglo orange Seven on the road to events.

In outright sprinting terms, I am not yet convinced that ACB10s are significantly quicker than 32SS. Dave J has proved how fast A032Rs can go. This year however it has been clear that I have had more cornering performance than Dave, who was stuggling to make his A048s work properly.

I have held off from changing to ACB A24's for several years , prefering to stick with 32R's on soft and super soft compound in order to keep costs down . I firmly believe that it doesnt result in any greater competition ,it simply adds $500 costs to everyones budget and you all go out and have the same time difference as last year ...........

The general opinion appears to be that ACB's would give me an extra 1.5 > 2 seconds at Curborough .making 55 > 56 second times .

Next year if Peter comes back with his 235 bhp engine on A24's , then I cant afford to give that tyre time advantage away any longer so I will have to relunctantly change to A24's ☹️ and another set of tyres and wheels for my 5000 road miles *thumbdown* ☹️ 🙆🏻

What ever you do don believe the bumph and buy 48's , they take too long to heat up on the fronts .....

See you all sunday *smile* *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave J on 30 Sep 2004 17:20:38

I must have done somethign wrong with my acb 24's with my little old 135 bhp supersport

they have lasted 10 sprints/hillclimbs with possibly 100 road miles max and the rears are past the wear markers and the scrut at wiscombe commented on them as being borderline ☹️

admittedly I did lend the car to rob grigsby who did 6 runs at llandow *eek* maybe that is why they are worn out

rob