Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Midget for Sale

Cheshire Cat

Garage clear out for arrival of Seven - much loved introduction to open top fun, my 1970 MG Midget is for sale.

Total nut and bolt restoration, sensible engine and suspension mods, original shell rebuilt and painted BRG, wire wheels, fun and marginally nippier than standard. Price negotiable - start at £4750 (cost £8k plus - daren't add up the receipts).

If you know someone who wants fun, learn rear wheel drive techniques at sensible speeds, likes classics but doesn't want to loose their licence in Seven "stylee", then they can see the car at: www.spridget.contactbox.co.uk and they can reach me at 07957141211 to leave a message.

The MG market is pretty dead right now. A friend of mine is an MG dealer (SMR, tel 01707 876089 if you did want to try to SOR your car). Good sub 50,000 mile Midgets are not even selling at £3995 right now - call SMR if you don't believe me. I think it's a general malaise in the market, though, plus an ageing market for these cars – I remember people in MGs when I was younger, but what about the potential purchasers today? All they remember when they were young was people driving round in Golf Gti Mark 1 or 2s, or Renault 5 Turbos or Astra GTEs (check out the number of spotty youths driving these things around)…and the people who might have been in the market for a Midget are generally better off and are looking at MX5s or Morgans to relive their youth in….

Despite all that, I still have my beloved Midget (or what's left of it) tucked away in my shed...I'm moving house soon and will be sweeping it up, putting it in a dustbin bag and placing it in another shed for the next 10 years. Wouldn't dream of parting with it though

Depends on colour (russet brown not a fast mover) and condition. The purists love the chrome bumpers, the ladies seem to like the rubber bumpers (ducks head below parapet).

Not difficult (well it is, 'cos by now the mild steel reinforcing inside the rubber bumper will have rusted itself solid to the mounting bolts) to remove the bumpers, drop the ride height and fit chrome bumpers - won't transform the handling, but might improve the resale chances.