Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AP LSD, testing the water

Luke Beaumont

I've been chatting with Phil Stewart, and I need to upgrade my LSD if it's to handle my forthcoming 250bhp. So, any interest in a low milage, AP Suretrack torque biasing diff? These are fine, according to Phil, for power outputs on the sensible side of 200bhp.

This would be available as either:

1) just the LSD innards, no casing or CWP, or

2) swap my entire (standard Caterham) 3.92 diff for a good low milage 3.92 open diff.

Now ideally I need lots of cash to offset the luxurious cost of a new ZF diff but I don't really know what price to ask. I gather the AP is similar in operation to the Quaife ATB, which is a cool £580 new. Ummm, offers around £400?

Luke.....how much would you need for just the LSD innards?

I`ve got a brand spanking new 3.62 open diff and a tatty but in seemingly good condition 3.92 open diff.

I`m fitting a duratec so ideally I should be using the 3.92 CWP.

Plan was to fit the new 3.62 open diff now and then upgrade to Quaife ATB later....changing to the 3.92 CWP at the same time.

My budget is tight and I shouldn`t even be considering this but what the hell 😬

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Luke

I`ve had a think since my "on impulse" post earlier and I`m going to pass for now!

Beside the budgetary constraints there is a likelihood that what is currently going to be a 190bhp duratec will later become a 220bhp duratec..............I think I`d be better fitting a LSD that will cope with the higher power output.

That and the alloy type 9 main case bulk buy looks like a goer 😬

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Luke

I have a 3.92-1 LSD in my roadsport A car, the diff is 6 months old Built from new parts by road and race in April. I need a standard 3.92-1 diff for my car for next year.

The cost to upgrade a current diff to an LSD is £600+vat we could come to some arrangement!!

let me know what you think

Mike

am i being mad

I have a standard open diff and I am thinking of changing to a LSD

Am I reading this right do you Mike want to change back to an open? Let me know

If it will work on my 96' Zetec.

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

I have 200bhp with VX torque and the AP suretrac was a revelation to my speed and lap times.

Trail braking stability esp. I don't know how much better the ZF one would have been but the AP suited my budget and its great for the road = modest power slides and 180's in a hurry / the odd doughnut session.

I paid in the region of £300 (can remember now) 2nd hand for the unit only, 2 years ago.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here