Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing my W*******d

Westfield

I have been offered a 1990 Caterham with the 2lt Vauxhall engine installed. I am thinking of buying it to replace my 1990 W*******d SEI which has a 1700 Xflow which produces 135 BHP. Before I get too excited and commit myself to the deal I have a few questions…..

I have not discussed price yet, what should I be paying for a car of this age and specification?

What should I look for before I part with the cash?

Are there any other modifications that I may not have noticed that would make it more desirable?

I have enjoyed the W*******d tremendously. Will I see much difference with the Caterham, apart from the increase in power?

The specification of the car is as follows:

1990 live axle

Painted body (metallic maroon)

Q plate

186 BHP engine with a dry sump. (built by MAP??)

5 speed box

Limited slip diff

Bilstine shockers with spare set of race springs

15” wheels with a spare set of 13 with new Yoahamas”

The car appears to be in excellent condition and very well put together

I will be looking at the car at the weekend and making a decision so any replies by then would be very useful

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I have just purchased a mint and I mean mint 1990 Q plate live axle 7 with 2 litre Zetec engine (twin 45's webber management system 5 speeed box (no LSD) for £10,000, which I think was a bit pricey, but the car is literally like new. New engine, box, supsension chassis etc etc and I am very pleased with it.

I do believe paying a bit extra for the right car is better than buying a cheap one or screwing a few extra pounds out of the owner and lossing any good will you may need i.e phones calls to previous owner. how does this work etc etc....

I also had a pre-lit W*******d 1700 crossflow and the 7 is really a better quality car plus a great web-site...what more could you ask for?

Hope this helps

Tony (must be in the name)

Bear in mind that Caterham never produced a live axle 2-litre Vx-engined car (in very recent years the live axle Classic got a 1.6-litre Vx). This doesn't mean it's not a worthy car (hopefully it's not an Ital axle...) but it may affect it's value, e.g. it wouldn't be worth as much as a pukka Vx HPC.

Mike