Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How long is a piece of string ...

ben7

I am currently considering various upgrades at present, but before I start investing my hard earned cash, I need to understand how long a se7en will last for.

I currently do approx 5k per year in mine, mainly in the dry and not in winter. It’s 3.5 years old at the moment and beginning to show signs or corrosion on the chassis etc (which is to be expected). If I were to invest £8k in a new engine, and replaced consumables etc as required, how long do you think before the car started to become quite tired. Can you take additional measures to protect the chassis for example?

I need to understand whether its better to upgrade the existing or trade up to a newer higher spec model.

Thanks,

Ben

Angus and Tessa have done 80k miles in theirs which is now 8 yrs old and still looks good and runs well. Original engine and box, paintwork still shiny if the odd corner and the underside are starting to show some wear. Photos on "mycaterham". Basically I think that with decent maintenance a 7 will put up with daily use for longer than most people will. Regular paint and Dinitrol will keep the chassis going beyond the 20 yr mark if you are prepared to keep on at it. Mechanicals will last as long as any car.

Is the chassis corroding structurally or has the powder coating started to fall off exposing steel which has surface rust on it. Probably the latter.

The good news is that no matter how bad it appears to be it's relatively cheap to get it as new. For approx 1500 quid Arch will strip off all your ally panels, blast the chassis clean, repowdercoat the chassis (with longer lasting coating) then reskin it with new alloy panels. For the cost of the new stage of tuning on the engine you have a brand new car. And once you are talking to Arch you can specify all sorts of nice things like getting the interior and engine bay powder coated black, much nicer than bare ally.

I did mine 2 years ago (it was 10 years old then) and it's still like a new car.

With regards to how long will a seven last.... I have a 1985 Xflow and have no major wear problems. However I expect I will do a strip down sometime in the future, or may just upgrade for a newer model... depends on what you want from your seven I suppose. When I asked about a reskin (send car to arch already stripped) they quoted me 1k

All the best, Phil

Green and Ali 1600 X-Flow

Edited by - Burt1969 on 27 Sep 2004 23:02:20

• Support Team

Julian/Mark,

I am budgeting around £2500 for the job at Arch. For this I have to remove everything from the car except the panels. I could save moeny and drill out all the rivets to take the panels off but Arch can do this much more easily than I can and it's not a lot more money.

Arch will remove the panels and then sand/shot blast the chassis to remove all the old powder coat and rust. They then dip the chassis (zinc something or other I believe) and then powder coat. They will then supply and fit all new panels.

I am having the car painted at TSK - this will vary with what you are having painted and what paint/colour.

I then have to put everything back on the car. This is quite a task as a kit has a lot of stuff already fitted but I will be re-fitting everything so it's a fair bit more work.

This is not a job for the fainthearted and I'm pretty apprehensive about it but although I could probably get away with just having the side panels replaced, I want to do a proper job and ensure tha car is as good as new.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32