Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A Frame Bushes

R2D2

I have just fitted a new Powerflex bush to the rear A Frame mounting of my live axled Ital) Seven. Unfortunately the bush that was supplied by DT was about 6mm too long and because I had booked an MOT I modified it fit.

Powerflex have offered to make a new bush of the correct size and I have measured up the A frame and the axle bracket.

Does any one know if this bush size is common to all Sevens (mine is an 89 car) or has it been changed on DeDion axles.

I believe the bushes fit all live axle cars regardless of age, don't know about De-Dion though. I get my bushes from James Whiting, who has them on the shelf for a £1

If you give him a call, he will be able to advise you on sizes.

Robert

From what I hear, itd true. DeDion bushes need replacing every 100,000 miles or so teeth.gif, but live-axle ones need doing often. I'm doing it every race now, as a few months ago I left it 3 or 4 races, and there was no rubber left in the bush (and a bit of a cluncking noise...)!

A word of warning about Powerflex bushes - the rubber bushes are supposed to be sacrificial, i.e. they wear away, saving other (more expensive) suspension components from wearing out. Although this may just be a rumour spread by Caterham to sell more bushes…

From what I hear, itd true. DeDion bushes need replacing every 100,000 miles or so teeth.gif, but live-axle ones need doing often. I'm doing it every race now, as a few months ago I left it 3 or 4 races, and there was no rubber left in the bush (and a bit of a cluncking noise...)!

A word of warning about Powerflex bushes - the rubber bushes are supposed to be sacrificial, i.e. they wear away, saving other (more expensive) suspension components from wearing out. Although this may just be a rumour spread by Caterham to sell more bushes…

My 95 deDion has a single "metalastic" bush and, as they're made out of different material (and are of a different design) don't need changing frequently. I guess 94/95 must have been the change over time.

Mr Excessive Baggage had 3 (Live Axle) on Le Sept I think. But he could change them very quickly (whether this is because he gave his car to the Hyperion guys or not I'm not sure smile.gif, but he definitely said it was a simple job).

You can only change to the later type on deDion cars if you buy a new deDion tube.

I tried the powerflex bushes after while I was waiting for my rose jointed A frame to arrive and they were fine. As for rthe rubber ones being "sacrificial" I'm not so sure. The last time my rubber ones went, ( after only one track day! ), the effect of the axle slapping about under track conditions was that the back of the car acted like a big slide hammer which wrecked my bearing ( which was brand new) and half shafts. This cost me £500 quid to fix!! I personally think it's more important to keep the axle well located as if they go they can take the axle with them with the hammer effect.

Besides if you look at the build manual it says to use a rose jointed A frame when racing!!, and they sell one, which sounds like a bit of a contradiction on catherhams behalf!

By the way the rose jointing gives the back so much more grip! the downside is that the car understeers to much so Im having ot fit wide track now !

Graham

By the way Chris I understand you mentioned Nitron Dampers before. I've got a set on order that Guy at Nitron is building up for me. I don't have the car back yet but i expect it to be superb!!. He's really helpfull and his dampers look top notch and are not far diferent from a set of Ledas!!. Watch this space..

He's even desinging them so that I can easily transfer them to a super light with out any mods!.

When I get them and give them a good testing i'll post a report.

Graham