Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow ignition kits update

Bill Shurvinton

Well firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their patience. The production of the first 40 units has taken a little bit longer than I had thought, as has finding a steady supply of EDIS units. I guess I should have realised with a full time job, 3 kids and everything else :-)

Anyway, units are built and will be boxed up and tested this week with the loom tails. Hoping to start shipping before the week is out.

So if you expressed an interest and still want one, then cheques would be appreciated as I somewhat skint with 40 kits worth of bits.

For those who wanted to fit this on a non-Xflow car, then I have some 5.5" trigger wheels coming in as well.

Bill

P.S. Having expressed an interest does not infer any contract to purchase if you have had second thoughts.

Hi Bill

Have been following some of the threads. But I am a bit short of information

What kind of money are we talking about.

It appear to me that I will need the following to get the system on my Xflow engine.

Trottle potentiometer

Coil pack (I want to get rid of the dirstributor)

High tension leads to suit the new coil pack

Trigger disk

VR sensor

And then of cource the ignition module itself.

Cheers Jorgen

Hi Jorgen,

You'd need to email me for prices. I do not wish to break any of the forum rules, especially as this is more of an experiment than a business. More than anything I want to give the Xflow brigade an affordable ignition system so that they are not tempted over to the dark side of 16V ally efforts :-)

At the moment I can supply everything except the TPS and the leads. I am being nagged to source those as well and am looking into it.

Bill,

didn't express interest at the time. I missed the thread.

Am interested however, so would like to be added to bottom of the list in case you get any noon-takers.

If/when you want a cheque please e-mail on my link, letting me know how much and I'll bang a cheque off to you.

Dave.

Note - the idea of fitting this kit a/. appeals greatly to the "tinkerer" in me and b/. fills me with dread that the engine would never run again.

• 2 weeks later...

The build is progressing. There are 10 complete units currently going through boxing and looming and I have made up the parts kits for those who wanted them. The loom making is a bit of a bottleneck at the moment that I need to work a way around.

Anyway, I have a confession. I have gotten my filing into complete disarray over who wants what, so if you showed an interest and I haven't contacted you recently, please email me on bill@shurvinton.fsworld.co.uk so I can get my list up to date.

My installation is now up and running, it’s definitely one of the best modifications I have made to the car… the difference in driveability is substantial. I have not done any tests on fuel consumption as yet but everyone else who has gone 3D has reported a big improvement.

Rather than have one of Bill’s full kits I just went for the board and did the rest myself. I am sure it will be a lot easier to install if Bills doing wiring looms!

As regards mapping, I manager to obtain a couple of maps developed for engines with similar power characteristics to my engine. Unfortunately these were in a 16 X 16 table for so I had to do a bit of maths to convert to a 10 X 10 table which is used in the Megajolt. I was pleased to see that the map follows the plot of the original distributor advance curve when the throttle is more than two thirds open. I guess the advantage of 3D is in part throttle running where you have more advance than a mechanical advance linked to RPM only.

My next step is to get the car on the rolling road and for some fine tuning although I have to say I am very please with the way the car goes as it is!

I have also been able to leave all of the original ignition in place, save for disconnection the coil power lead and the plug leads which are cable tied to the top of the inlet manifold at the moment! I will be removing the original system as soon as my confidence in the Megajolt system is confirmed.

If anyone is interested I have a few pictures on my web site and a bit of a write up, click here to go to the site.

Edited by - Tony L on 12 Oct 2004 16:06:10