Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tricks of the trade reqd

julians

Last night I thought I'd have a go at fitting the adjustabble height platforms and some 260lb springs that I'd had lying around for months.

All went fine on the passenger side, but on the drivers side I am having problems removing the end off the damper so that I can slide on the adjustable platform. The nut that you are supposed to use to turn the head against (if you know what I mean)is threaded so just slips round (rather than locking against the end of the thread), so I cant get any purchase on the shaft of the damper to stop it spinning when I try and unscrew the head.

I've had the head soaking in WD40 over night to see if this will make it a bit easier to come off, but I still need a way of gripping the shaft (ooer)so that I can unscrew the head without the shaft spinning.

Anyone got any good ideas, I was going to get hold of a mole wrench (is that the right word, its the tool that you clamp on) but I'm not sure that this will give me enough grip.

I have seen some cheapo things in B&Q called baby boa's which claim to be able to grip this sort of thing, but I'm not sure it will be strong enough.

Julians,

Mole wrench/mole grips would do, so would a vice, however, this will cause some damage to the shaft.

If using a vice, pad the jaws with some wood, with the mole grips ensure you grip the shaft right at the top where the rubber bump stop normally sits, i.e. the damaged bit of shaft will not pass through the seal on top of the shock and damage it.

I assume you have the old spring securely clamped up already as you have sucesssfully done one side, I expect the nut would have loosened if you had tried it in situ under spring tension (only just loosen half a turn - not take it right off!)

You could also try inertia - fit a good spanner on the nut and give the end of the spanner a smart tap from a hammer, shaft tends to stay put, nut may move a little.

Regards,

allen

I have removed the old spring , as this will slide over the head of the damper without it having to come off, however if I want to fit the adjustable platform the head needs to come off, as the adjustable platform is too small to slide over the head.

Will try mole grips tonight.

Dont know about that, I think I'll still be fine tuning the ride height at Anglesey on the 31st.

Just finished running it in after the rebuild, Its seems much faster than before, although that could just be psychological.