Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What makes an SLR so L...?

David Ward

Some answers to help as I decide which route to follow in pursuit of the great god UPGRADE.

My '99 Clubsport vs an SLR - where are the weight losses apart from the obvious (heater, weather, carpets etc) ? Is the chassis of an SLR different/lighter? I presume a VHPD engine is lighter than an ordinary K engine?

Would the chassis of my Clubsport(which I presume is the same as any other 1.6K) cope with a substantial power hike without the need for strengthening? Is the SLR rear suspension any different?

Is the rumour I keep hearing about a shed full of VHPD engines somewhere just that (a rumour)?

What a lot of questions - thanks for any thoughts.

P.S. If Jerry or Bill read this then it's all your fault - I was v. happy with 135bhp 'til you both poled up in SLR's...!

Cheers

The road chassis' nothing special I think (race chassis is different though).

SLRs+ do have Watts linkages to avoid lateral movement of the rear suspension (again, I think!) but how much difference this makes to ultimate lap times is open to debate. I suspect not much for your normal driver.

So screen/weather gear removal and to a lesser extent the carbon gear (which I think you'll have anyway?) help reduce weight.

You'd also typically have much lighter wheels (and tyres if you go for ACB10s) and no spare/carrier on an SLR.

Seats may also be something that you can save plentgy of weight on if you forgo "proper" ones.

Once you take all this into account and empty it of all fluids etc you'll get somewhere close to Caterham's quoted SLR weight.

Don't think the engine weighs radically less. The flywheel may be lighter but from there who knows. I'd guess that the combined effects of throttle bodies, dry sump or apollo tank etc. will contrive against it (?).

The easiest place (in my case anyway!!) to lose serious weight is from the driver. Which also has the advantage of saving money rather than costing it! Less fun to do though, by a significant margin.

From there, it's power you'll be wanting smile.gif. The std. chassis can handle more power quite readily. But then you'll be wanting suspension tweaks, brake tweaks, ancilliary tweaks to keep the engine together etc.

David,

Your Clubsport should have Watts Link as standard, the same as an SLR. Easy to check: Look under the rear wheel arches. If you can see rods going backwards as well as forwards from the end of the axle, you've got Watts. If forwards only, you have standard suspension. As Andy says, Race chassis are different.

Weather gear was an extra cost option on Clubsports, just like SLRs. Things like the lightened flywheel, 4-pot front calipers and LSD are common to both. The rear exhaust box your car should have is the CS exhaust, but I've seen that box on SLRs.

In fact the only significant differences between a CS and a SLR are the wheels and the engine.

Gerry Taylor was racing last year and trashed his SLR during qualifying. His mechanics rebuilt his car using a spare roadsport chassis. As he had not qualified, he started at the back of the grid and he finished on the podium. Therefore, I cannot believe there is that much difference between the two chassis.

Cheers,

Graham

Andy, if you put on your newly acquired spex, cool.gif you'd see that Chris has already been there and done that classification teeth.gif Monsieur Barry-of-the-Web is currently considering his next moniker wink.gif

FH