Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon side-screens

Marius

Just seen this morning on their website, half-doors made from carbon/kevlar in black and silver. Personally I think I´ll stick with the leather ones for road use but might be of interest for the racers amongst us. Looks the dogs dangles though. Inside kevlar in case of a crash seems to make sense.

See here

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the general opinion on this sort of thing: carbon in epoxy will splinter in a crash (as will fibreglass), kevlar I would guess would stay 'meshed' a bit more and thus be better in a crash. I would be a bit worried about carbon in the cockpit in a crash, as the splinters are stronger and thus more dangerous than fibreglass. Of course all of this depend to a large extent on the resin system and quantity in the matrix. Is this an unecessary worry or a real one? Any experiences of this in cars? I've repaired crash damaged kevlar and fibreglass on boats, but not cars.

@Mike

As our UK Agent it is natural that Freestyle will stock them!

@robbieclark

It is correct what you say. Carbon splinter in a crash.

That is only one reason why don’t think about prepreg and autoclave. At the most parts we had minimum 1 or 2 layers of linen fibreglass or the better looking carbon/Kevlar which improve the characteristics on parts we all use on Sevens. Our parts break at accidants and the splinters are really very small and no problem!

Somebody think about a “splinter” wing or nose cone on an accident?

Maybe with children? (Prepreg parts are in Germany fully illegal for road using! Passiv pedestrian protection )

Our parts are “elastic” (Maybe we bring soon a “crash test” with our seats, wings, noses and sidescreen.)

In F1 they also discuss about the risk of splinter parts!

I am sorry about my English and it is not in my interest bring here advertising.

Regards

Joachim

www.mog-racing.com

Only 2 ways to sort this one:

1) Go outside and have a fight

2) Supply some parts and have them tested, perhaps as a sponsored (by the companies) LF article? You could include Caterham's own bits. Suggested criteria:

a) subjective aesthetics/quality

b) weight

c) strength (tested by applying load to the same area of the part and seeing how much load it takes to break it)

d) subjective "safety" (does it break into a million sharp pieces etc)

e) price

Come on gentlemen. Fisticuffs and banter is so passe :)

Losers buy the beers.

Yep door is definitely longer......

In a std se7en I have to go in feet first.....in an SV I can sit into the seat and then pull my legs in.....which is pretty impressive given that I am over 6ft and have big feet 😬

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

If I might make a suggestion to all concerned....

The constant snippy comments are very much akin to advertising in the US which seems to revolve around slating the opposition while not actually highlighting why your own product might be better. I suspect that people may actively baulk against this kind of "advertising" too, which is lazy and unimaginative, and seek out the competitor's product....

At the end of the day, it is the customer's decision and they will buy what they perceive to be the "right" product for them. If the product is good and priced competitively then it will sell. Equally if they dislike the salesman's attitude they won't....

@all. It is very difficult translate everything right and write everything in the right words. I was a really bad and lazy pupil in school by English learning. I left school when I am 15 years old and started to work. All the English I learnt after I got 30 years old, was because I started with Caterham racing. Sorry for that!

@andycox

On non roll cage cars you can fix them bottom and rear with the popper like the hood or tonneau cover or with Velcro fastening.

The side screen is in front between dashboard and scuttle not like the JPE side screen complete outside!

In front we have a small and very thin stainless steel fastener where is fixed on the side screen and on the other side you pushes it between scuttle and dashboard. Very simple.

What kind of accident you mean?

@neil.cavanagh

I don’t know if the doors from SV are different to standard. If not we bring them also for SV also nose cone, dashboard, aeroscreen. My problem is that I have no SV in my clients. If concrete orders are here we accelerate the sidescreens.

@Scuffnut

1) Who goes outside? EFA and me? Why? I work here in Germany with strong business rivals since 1987. I never fought with one of them.

2) Very good idea! I take up a challenge but please note that we have a complete race and road tested product range. Who is the competitor who also has that or rather when you will do that test? Where is my competition? Caterham carbon parts are in racing not allowed. (I don´t know why ;) But you forgot important aspects in your list.

- Time of delivery of all parts

- How sure is a later repeat order!

- How much is the alloy skin damaged after a crash and how much is the front chassis damaged after a front crash.

- star cracks after using

Losers pay the beers. I bring German Hatz Beer. As a matter of fact all my British friends do like Hatz. Maybe I will put some pictures of damaged (accident) carbon parts from us on my website.

@PaulD

That is that what I will say all the time. Nobody needs for our use expensive prepreg parts. I will claim that prepreg parts are for some of our parts are disadvantageous! Nobody can prove that prepreg parts are better suitable as wet laminated.

And now @EFA

It isn’t funny for me all the time refute your unqualified posts.

Also nut funny it is that you write in difficult English so that I have my problems to translate your delusion (pipe dream) You are until today not in the position to proof that your statements are correct. Also I miss your qualification to rate your statements.

Splinter is a property of material from carbon and not from the resin system. Maybe it is really necessary that you learn your job before your sell and produce parts. I learned in 10 years trading with Caterham Parts that there are a lot of proper companies in the UK and excellent experts. I can not see any of these features with you EX Fat Arnie. (I am not a carbon expert, but my manager from the carbon department is that and he is qualified and has experience in fibre reinforced plastic in combination with racing cars longer than 20 years. Maybe you don’t know that we have here in Germany also some fast race cars. Hans Gebhardt my carbon manager was responsible for the Le Mans Porsches 956 and 962??? We will bring a list with all our references. Maybe I will upload it with the pictures.

We don’t have secrets in the way we are producing the products. Though you are British, it seems that you have problems with reading.

@all

have a nice Sunday evening.

Regards

Joachim

www.mog-racing.com

Joachim, are you over for the festival?

There will be several SV's there, mine included.

Teh aero screen and sill protectors are already taken care of by Richard in France, but 1/2 doors would be a bonus...

I'll find you if you are over, I'll be with Virtual 7 *smile*

mev

No I do not race in Brands Hatch. But we can do half doors for SV until Christmas inf you want.

Rgds

Joachim

@EFA

I am in UK from 18th - 21 October. You can explain me than what you mean exactly with rubbish from eye to eye.

I think you are only a jealousy man whose only intention is searching mistakes in translations of our product descriptions. I am sorry that I have translated my German website because to reach a lot of pleased non German speaking customers worldwide.

Maybe it helps you: Take tomorrow your telephone and call 0049 7 21 / 55 49 26-27.

It is the phone of Manfred Freisinger. Ask him who produced his Porsche plastic wet laminated parts, wings, doors, mudguards etc build with carbon, fibre glass, carbon Kevlar until last year. And ask him how often they are F.I.A. worldchampions with those parts. Ask him also if he think that expensive autoclave prepreg parts are better and faster.

And then ask yourself why we think that prepreg is not only thrown out money but also be out of place!

If you then still have time call Reinhold Joest (http://www.joest-racing.de/) and ask him if he know Hans Gebhardt and how and with witch material and method he produced the parts for him.

And then creep away in your cave and search for new arguments.

First you make all wet laminate parts bad and if you saw our parts and find no arguments against wet laminate then you think you bring the sensation of the fibre glass layer. (I bring in future also pictures about our fibre glass, also a technical description form the bodywork of the Le Mans Porsche 959 and 962 especially for experts than you.)

PS:

When you bring your parts for the LF test?

PPS:

I do not open this thread. Maybe it helps the scene learning something about bodywork parts for Seven.

I have to answer because I have to make sure that nobody brings our products in a wrong light.

Regards

Joachim

www.mog-racing.com

Edited by - Joachim on 26 Sep 2004 21:26:26