Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator for BEC

Violet Elizabeth

My chosen BEC radiator doesn't fit under the nose cone. So any suggestions for where to look for suitable rads ?

What is it that makes a radiator suitable for a particular engine (I am guessing it has something to do with matching pipe sizes, but is this all ?).

The JW Fireblade one looks nice, any one know who makes it ?

Thanks.

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here

• Support Team

Radtec? I've got one in my K-series car, and know of others using with crossflow and Zetec so should do the job. Looks nice, is direct replacement for Caterham's own and is much better than the standard Caterham one. Costs about £200 if you mention L7OC bulk buy. I guess this would be OK for a BEC - probably overkill. They can also do custom radiators.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Just fitted a Polo radiator to my Westfield. Its very light (sorry I didn’t weigh it before fitting it) Cheap, fits snug inside the nose cone in an upright position and I believe its good for 200 BHP according to the Westy boys.

Part number SER 2719819 from Serck Radiators who have branches nationally. It was £32+vat which seemed very good value.

I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Tony

Thinking about the science all you need is a rad that can get rid of the heat from a 140bhp motor (assuming this is the output from a 'blade) when installed in a 7 nosecone. The Caterham rad will therefore work, as will a lot of others. The entertaining bit is then plumbing it, which may or may not involve welding up adaptors.

Noger

As Andrew says the Fireblade have the std Caterham Ali rad

This overcools my engine and even in summur I run it 33% blanked off, to get proper operating temps

I would think this would do the job nicely for your gixer and there are plenty about from people who have upgraded to the Race Rad/Radtec etc

Plus you know it will fit. The last time I looked at a Polo rad I decided it wouldn't fit a Caterham

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

OK, thanks. Will go with that. The Polo sounds very tempting, but at least I know the Caterham one fits. The polo one *should fit* but it needs to be from the 1.0 83-90 Polo, as that is the shorter option (lots of info on the WSCC boardroom *thumbup*)

The Caterham online store shows both Ford and Rover options under "Ali Road Rad" *confused*

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here