Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle Hub Nut

Ferrino

I'm fairly sure when I did mine up I found a note in one of my books that said only do up to something like 95lb /ft on a live axle i.e. much less than a DD. Don't take this as gospel but I'll have a look through the books again

D

Found it in my Tony Weale Lotus 7 maintenance manual on page 200 which talks about Leyland Ital rear axles.

It says "Hub securing nut torques are 85 ft.Ib for Leyland (from 1981), and 110 ft.Ib for Standard axles (1960 to 1868)"

Later on he confirms that the torque for a DD is 200 ft.Ibs. Quite a difference *eek*

I took a look at Weale's book also. The two axles look similar with some differences between the diff. casings that are hard to discribe. However, the diagrams in the book show a square plate at the outer ends of the axle for the Ford type. This is the plate that the brake assembly is attached to. The diagram for the Ital axle shows round plate at the axle ends.

Ken Sailor

Confused now Ken *confused*. Who mentioned Ford?

The Standard I referred to was the Standard-Triumph fitted to all series 2 Sevens. The Ford was fitted to all series 3 and 4 and by Caterham until 1981. It's replacement was the axle from the Ital which is related to the original Standard-Triumph but is both stronger and has a wider track measurement (but looks the similar)!

So if you've got a Caterham and it is an Ital, then it is 85 Ib.ft.

Doesn't sound very tight does it *biggrin* I keep expecting mine to fall off having put them on myself.....