Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting 6 point harness - where to fit the crouch straps ?

greg

If a fit of extravagence, I brought a nearly new 6 point. I have a 4 point and am wondering where the crouch belts attach to?

Are the rear seat bolts suitable ? Or do I need to make / fit some fittings - or is this a professional job ?

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

I just fit my "crouch" belt onto the same bolts that the lap portion uses, but put in a longer seat mount bolt. Because I don't want to cut my seat, I just sit on the belt. Seems to work fine.

As far as bolts and washers are concerned, you'll need a longer bolt if you use the lap belt mountings, and use some spacers so that the belt fittings are free to move, but the bolt is tight. I would've thought about 45 lbs of torque should be about right, I just tightened mine up 'till I thought it was tight enough though.

more importantly.... i decided i'd try out my until-then unused crotch belt this weekend. what started out as uncomfortable, was a family-jewel-crushing agony after half a mile.

which led a friend of mine to suggest that the only way 'round it was for caterham to produce a caterham drivers' box. rather like a cricket box, but branded, of course.

seriously.. how does anyone do it ????

j

400 miles of fun..... wink.gif

(well, i think it was 400 miles.. but my speedo broke...)

Yes I can can see the problem, especially on a hot sweaty drive. My belts have a little spreader bar, which Luke call a moustache, 'cause it looks like an old fashioned handlebar moustache.

It works by holding the crotch belts apart, so that they actually pull tight against the inner thigh, not those more sensitive areas. I find them very comfortable over any time span and in the event of needing them for real, it is one less bit of damage to worry about!

Jam, if you decide to go this route, I hope you remove "la boite" when you arrive at destination teeth.gif - otherwise it could frighten all the girlies - blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

FH wink.gif

oh yes, FH, it would become part of those 'about to drive' and 'just got back from a drive' rituals that we all enjoy...

loosen seatbelt, undo at buckle, unclip door, lift oneself out, pull out earplugs and store in pocket, undo trousers, unseat caterham 7box and clip into dashboard boxholder....

it could really catch on !!

not forgetting to do trousers back up of course....

j

My solution to the sensitive area was to build a race-style seat base compatible with the S-type seats. This works fine for track day use - although probably would not pass race scrutineering.

As regards the fixing points, I used the front seat mountings used by my old style seats (not S-type). Is this totaly unsuitable ?

Cheers,

Peter

I fitted mine by drilling holes in the floor at the rear of the cockpit and using stainless L shaped strengthening brackets supplied by James Whiting.

I didn't use the seat belt anchorages as I don't have much clearance with the S type seats and there was also some debate about whether this was the 'best' way to do it.

Andrew C Winfer

Well, I used the side fixing points for the crotch strap with the old 'S' type seats and this works fine for me and Suzi Seven. I have made up new spacer spindles so that I actually have not only the race harnesses but the old lap and diagonal too. No, they are not both used at the same time!

I find that if one has to just nip down the road to listen to a new noise/squeak etc then the lap & diagonal is just the ticket.A bit of freedom to move. Same goes for when it is pi..ing with rain and the roof is actually up (yes, it has been known!). One can get in and be buckled up without too much hassle.