Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheels

stephen grant

i think the normal answer is YES stephen,

but some people put slightly wider wheels on the back to enable wider tyres. it really depends on the BHP you are trying to put down.

some more info on your car spec and intended use will yield a more informed response...

Edited by - granteuk on 21 Sep 2004 13:56:10

ok, thanks. it's just a 1.6 k-series with 133-ish bhp.

i've got a knackered set of wheels/tyres on there at the moment, which i'll use for the track, so i really want a set for the road that actually have some tread! from what i've read here, the current thought is either Yoko 048's or CB500's. Thinking about a set of minitors for them. just didn't know whether to get 6x13s all round or 8x13s at the rear. Given that i'm a long way short of the 200bhp club, it sounds like you're suggesting i stick to 6x13s all round?

thanks,

stephen

I think most people would say 13x6 was best at that sort of power on the road. Certainly if you are fitting "fast road" tyres (as opposed to cut slicks like 048s) then I'd say so. 185/70s help ground clearance and are nice and cheap. Yoko 021/539, Bridgestone RE720s (available as 60s, for 70s dunno) are popular choices. I run RE720s and I'm happy, though they are less grippy than Yokos.

I have 6" front and rear on my car and run A021s which are fine in the wet (they are a wet race tyre afterall *wink*)

6" and 185mm on the back is plenty with 140ish bhp, they are cheaper than 205s (as are the wheels)and you can swap them around with the fronts to even out the wear. I also bought some new Caterham 13x6 Eight spokes recently. They weren't much more than Minators and IMHO look great.

As far as tyres go I've had 60 profile but now have 70s as they were cheaper and I planned alot of road miles on a european trip over the summer. On road and track you can tell a difference in the profile but both are well balenced.

Having said that Stephen I will be moving to A048s next.

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087

ok, sorry. i'm an idiot. let me just understand this: 6x13 means that the diameter of the wheel is 13" and the width of the wheel is 6"? if i then put 185mm 60 profile 13" tyres on, the 185mm is the width of the tyre, 60mm is the height of the tyre and 13" the internal diameter? But 185mm = approximately 7.3", so how does that fit on a 6" wide wheel?

s

I have 3 set of wheels/tyres and have a 140bhp SL. I find having 205 55 13 on the back gives me the feeling of more grip than when I run 175 55 13. I plan to change my setup so I run just one size for next years sprints, track days and road work.

I know some people feel the bigger tyres at the back upset the handling, and respect their thoughts but I do not think teree is a right or a wrong answer.

David