Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Comments please - SLR Versus Blackbird

jpotter

Dear All,

I'd really appreciate your comments (even some constructive ones) on which of these monsters would be a best step from my secondhand Superlight 1.6. It has been with me for while but I want to move up slightly in the performance and also get a nice shiny car for me to put all the dents and chips in myself.

The car is used 75% on road and 25% on track, and so far my thoughts are that the blackbird is fractionally cheaper and has a lovely sequential box and (I seem to remember) good track manners being lighter able to brake later etc.

Howver, SLR has been traditional step up and has all known quantities, happy with K engine etc.

Also, Caterham do not have a blackbird demonstrator, how the hell are you supposed to decide if you can't drive it ?

I would really appreciate your views.

James

C7 JDP

What ever one says here wlii offend someone, so here goes!

I have never driven the 'B/bird',so this is just a personal opinion, but from what I read and have heard about bike engined cars they seem better suited for track days than as 'every day' road cars.

Also, the cost is not a lot different to a good 'K' car.

I can see the appeal of a 'Blade' version for track work; light weight, relatively cheap engine (if/when it goes 'pop' then 1000 UKP gets you a brand new eng.), cheaper to purchase etc.

Depends what you really want to do with it I guess!!!wink.gif

I remain open minded about the car eng/bike eng debate. It will be a bit difficult to sell it if Caterham have no demo car though. Does that show their level of commitment to the project?

question.gifWhat do the rest of you think then?

From what I've seenof the bike engined variety they're a quantumleap forward. ex Chairman roger managed to make everyone else look a bit silly around curborough in one recently. You can't believe how they'll dive into corners. Another bike engined caterham pulled up after trickling gently along the road that leads into Curborough and it seemed to have pussy cat manners. I think you'd need to drive one though - have you tried contactiong roger to see if he has any leads in that direction? It would be worth doing.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs