Click here if you are having website access problems ×

WINDSCREENS

Jules Martin

The windscreen on my R500 was destroyed at SPA whilst passing a racing GT3. I want to buy a new screen (on the insurance company) but don't want to fit it until the Autumn/Winter. I would like to purchase Caterhams's replacement unit which I can put Brooklands screens on.

Zoe & Tim Ward at Caterham are saying it is a 4 1/2 hour job which I just cant believe. Thewre are only four bolts on the Stanchions so what's the problem? Anyone out there got any experience? or can give me some advice?

Jules

Fitting a screen looks easy but the screen is supplied with the lower screen rubber several inches too long and it needs to be trimmed to suit.

Putting the screen into the stanchions is a piece of cake but getting the lower rubber to fit the scuttle and under the stanchions so that it lies flat and doesn't crease up and look a mess really is a test of patience and endurance.

Jules,

Are you just talking about replacing the windscreen with the Brooklands screen assembly? If so, as the recent proud owner of the complete set up i.e. stanchion fitted with screens and mirrors, I can change from windcreen to Brooklands in no more than 20 minutes and vice versa. It really is simply a case of undoing the 4 bolts swapping the assemblies and replacing the bolts. Only thing to be careful of is the wires for the heated windscreen.

If you're interested and would like to have a gander at my Brooklands assembly give me a call on 07970-738881 and I could be persuaded to come for a drink down at the pub or alternatively catch me at the next Norf Kent meeting.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I have also just fitted Brooklands screens to my car (see the thread a few days ago for the costs) and am really pleased with the look and the difference they make to the way the car goes.

4.5hrs is a bit long for the fitting TO the car, but if you are biulding up the screen assembly then it might be about right as you have to get the holes in the right place (the stantion comes with two holes pre-drilled and you have to mark and drill the rest) for the little screen supports and of course the mirrors (I went for a nice Ali domed mirror which has proved to be rock steady).

It is also a good idea to put some rubber under the stantion to protect the car - although this does make it harder to line up the 4 bolts that hold it on.

As you've got an R500 would a JPE type screen not suit the car more? It would be lighter, the Brooklands screens weight as much as a screen (as a rough guide).

Let me know if you want a .jpg of my car e-mailed to you off line of my screens....or if you are in the North Hants area it is the club meeting at the Phionex (always spell that wrong teeth.gif) tonight and I will be there and can can take you out in it to see if you like then.

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600 X/F smile.gif

I agree, 4 hrs is steep for a screen swop. I did it about 3 months ago, took 3hours inc drilling out a couple rivets to get at the bolts. Did I read somewhere that caterham are fresh out of screens?..I need a new one aswell!

Edited by - captain chaos on 26 Jul 2001 23:14:19

Jules,

Two scuttles is the way to go.

You can swap in about 20 mins, and when you run the aeroscreen you do not lug around the weight of the wiper rack etc.

It also looks a lot neater.

Email me I'll expalin what to do and how to get another painted scuttle.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

Edited by - fast arnie on 26 Jul 2001 23:30:40

Glad to prove you right then Chris!!!

Actually got an extension to my pole today (ooh err!!!). I'm talking about the 'Seven' flagpole of course. It's now about a metre higher with a special rotating wind 'thing' and pennant fitted to the top.

Looking real good now!!!!!!!!smile.gif

Hi Phil, Chris and All,

When you mounted the broklands screens, how did you fit the mounting screws for the screen supports to the stanchions so that they don't scratch the scuttle. Did you drill and tap the stanchion or what?

Countersunk screw from underside and washer/nyloc on the 'screen supports. Used duck tape on the underside to cover the lower side of the stanchion. Suspect tapping the stanchion would be the nice,tidy way but mine had already been started (and therefore drilled right through) by a.n.other so continued the same way!

Arnie,

I've taken your advice and bought a second scuttle with c/f wraparound deflector. Caterham are currently painting it for me.

Any advice on how to avoid their £150.00 bill for the rear view mirror (Have got the side mirrors already).

Jules