Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Optimate charger

Violet Elizabeth

Noger,

If you're talking about an easy way of connecting a charger to the battery without removing the bonnet then I bought a jack plug and socket, cut the battery charger cable in 2, ran the wires from the battery to the socket mounted on the dashboard and the jack plug to the end of the cable from the charger. Hence when I need to charge the battery all I need to do is plug the charger into the socket in the dashboard. All very simple and convenient.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Noger,

Take your point about the lid smile.gif. I was also unsure about drilling the dash but found it rather simple even for me! The plug and socket I've got came from Holden and is part no. 080.136 approx £15. It needs a 19mm hole and the assembly comes with a handy flip-top cover to stop dust etc. from getting in. I quite like it but I'm sure you could get something just as good and far cheaper from any motor accessories store.

Chris Alston

OK, I've got my Holden socket (which looks very cool) and I am OK at soldering (thanks to electronics 'O' level) so now I need to make a hole. I am thinking passenger side of dash ? Using a hand drill ? Anything I need to watch out for ?

Your continued patience with a mechanical clutz is most welcome !

Noger, Where you fit the socket on the dashboard is largely down to personal preference and the ability to access it from behind to tighten the lock nut on the socket.

I didn't have a drill large enough so I ended up drilling a series of small holes (electric drill)in a circle and 'joining' them up via a small file. I purposely made the hole too small and then filed it down to a perfect size (less chance of making a real cock-up!)

There was nothing that I seem to remember looking out for specifically.

Hope you get 'wired-up' all OK.

Chris Alston

I guess you could put the socket on the side of the car, I hadn't considered that. However, if you do that I assume you'll need to fit it beneath the level of the bonnet otherwise you'll still need to go through the bulkhead. I should explain that my batttery has been re-sited to the top of the passenger footwell and that I already had a small hole in the bulkhead for the heater(?) wires, so I just threaded the charger wire through the same hole. The dashboard just seemed the most logical place to me (socket is actually in the middle so I had plenty of room to work with). I guessing that you've got an old x/flow with the battery underneath the carbs hence your question.

Chris Alston

Have a crossflow but the battery was moved to above passenger footwell recently. Doesn't seem much room to poke the wire through the heater hole, perhaps I could use thinner wire. Do wires have amp ratings ?

Thought about the side socket, since have clamshell wings and the would partialy hide the socket.

Do wires have amp ratings? No idea I'm afraid. had no trouble with getting wires through existing bulkhead hole, my charger is an AirFlow, perhaps my wires were just thinner or the hole bigger!!!! I still think the dashboard is the best place ,less likely to get water/dust whatever in the socket even though it has a cap. if your local to me (Orpington,Kent) you're welcome to pop round to see mine.

Chris Alston

Chris A.

Yes, wires do have a maximum amperage (current) rating.

Your 'Airflow' charger; did it come as part of the Carcoon package?

I have one of these 'Coons (bought 'pre-owned'---posh way of saying second hand!)and reckon it's the D's B's for the winter.

Got it through the pages of Low Flying.thumbsup.gif

Chris C.

Nope. I bought the AirFlow charger as a separate unit. I don't think a CarCoon would be any good to me as the car is never in the garage long enough to bother with one tongue.gif

BTW had an excellent blat down to Pevensey Bay on Sunday and managed (I think) to convince Margaret that the 'Brooklands' are OK, even though it tangled her hair in knots.

Chris Alston

Chris A.

Chance to gain 'Brownie' points here. Caterham sell a logo'd scarf that is just right for stopping the tangle hair syndrome. OK, so it makes one look as if one is out for a drive in the 1960's (MG ?) don't ya know, but it works. I also think that they were going cheap (sorry, somewhat less expensive!) in the Kennet Road parts dept special offer bin!!!