Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ital diffs

happylarry

I'm running a 1.8 Zetec, about 145bhp, with an SPC Ital diff. Only problem is they only last for about 4/5 trackdays before 'letting go'. This has now happened twice in the past 2/3 years. Does anyone have a similar story, and has managed to find a solution (apart from not pushing as hard on track!) Am considering going over to a Ford diff, but this causes problems as I need 2 new sets of rims (track and road) and the Ford diff is offset, which means a remodelling of the underbody.

Any suggestions?

What tyres are you running on the Track? If they are very sticky I believe the ital axle suffers from poor baffling and will chew its self.

I have heard that fitting an LSD will provide a tougher axle (SPC will do this for you) but can not comment for sure.

Are you overfilling the oil - I think that x2 capacity is good for track use, but this might be higher - check the archives.

This is interesting as I am planning on fitting an 1800 Zetec this winter and thought that the axle could take its standard power without too much trouble.....depends on individual build I guess. Something to bear in mind when I want more power later on.

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600 X/F smile.gif

I would be interested to know whci part of the diff is failing as I am re-building a spare axle atthe moment and trying to re-engineer some of the components.

If is is the side gears then fitting an LSD should help to solve the problem. There are two types of LSD available at the moment.

Quaife ATB which does not have any pre-load so when the torque drops to zero on one wheel the unit behaves just like a conventional diff.

Tran-X plate or Salisbury unit which has a factory set pre-load.

I have also seen that Rimmer Bros. are selling TR7 4-speed diffs and spares at good prices. The unit comes fully assembled and set up. They have 4.11:1 and 3.64:1

These units are identical to the Ital. They also have half shafts at reasonable

prices.

Thanks for all your suggestions; guess it's now time to discuss with Jim Whiting at James Whiting Sevens! In reply to Phil Walters, I'm running 021R's on track. Thanks for all advice. If any of you see a metllic blue 7 M300 LOU at the side of a track somewhere, you'll all advice failed!!

I think the oil surge is the problem here. My ital diff is now baffled (SPC will baffle them) to prevent surge, overfilled and a quaiffe ATB. No probs so far. I think the weakest link in the ital chain now is the half shafts...which should take plenty of abuse.

Yeah, I've worked out that oil surge is the problem, and yes the diff is baffled. Spoke to James Whiting who has a couple of suggestions, a 'winged' diff (don't even ask!!) from Paul Harvey. Happens to think the solution is a Blackbird engined 7. £16k on the road. Just happens to have a demonstrator in 2 weeks time!! Anyone want to buy a very reliable live axled 7!! Going cheap!!

Thanks guys