Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tyre rack

Alex Wong1697456877

In one of my many more than momentary lapses of reason, my car had it's spare wheel carrier removed over winter. Thing, is, I'm off to Marrakesh in a month and in the past, the spare carrier has carried the spare wheel and several bags (tied to the spare). Having deliberated various ways of creating a new removable spare carrier (some rediculous and some very rediculous), I've concluded that I'm going to try to build a rack that sits above and behind the FIA bar - to carry one spare (lying flat) and also a bag or two.

Anyway, I know that other people have built tyre racks for sevens. Any advice re sourcing clamps etc??

Thanks

Alex

There is a tyre rack in existence that is secured by clamps to the FIA and will carry up to four wheelsand is used by trackday owners who do not have a trailer. This may be a possible solution however, the last I heard he was trying to sell the business. Might be worth a search on here *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Alex - mine doesn't fit the cage anymore so if you would liek to borrow it let me know

it is just sat inthe garage taking up space

Peter Carr was the person who made them I think he is still contactble via the web page here and he can give you advise on the clamps I would have thought

what andrew describes sounds very similar to whay i have

rob

Having Cut mine off in similar fasion (I did leave a stub to refit it later) I have been looking at a way to do something similar. What I have seen for someone wanting to fit a Single spare similar to the original Tyre Rack. was esentialy a square block of Ally with 2 holes drilled at 90' cut in half and then holes drillen and tapped to allow it to be bolted back together.

The one half gets bolted to the chassis leaving the other facing the back where you can essentialy bolt the tyre rack onto as per the original.

It may sound a little odd but it's a good way to have an original looking tyre rack that is removable.

Birkin S3 Ford Kent 1600 Weber 40's

Mike - No stubbs left (and a new rear panel)

The designs all look interesting but mine will be a bit different - it will accomodate fixings for fitting half a hood and only needs to carry one spare. All interesting stuff.

Andrew - thanks for the contact details - impressive indeed!! I think once I've got the clamps sorted, the rest should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks all.

Alex

BTW - Rob - I can't seem to get on to your site.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 10 Sep 2004 14:58:29

Alex, I think I should point out that I got my Stauf clamps from Paul...

They are fine, but I'd recommend cutting the bolts down a little - they protrude well-past the mounting plates and can take ages to wind-out (very secure though....).

I'll be cutting mine down eventually...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Alex I can do you a one off special if you come up with what you want

A drawing, sizes, photos or tell me what you want to carry and how you think it will look

"will be a bit different - it will accomodate fixings for fitting half a hood and only needs to carry one spare. "

What is half a hood

I imagine it to be a cross between the roof mounted wheel carriers you see on works WRC safari cars and the tubular roof racks you see on Landrovers clamping onto the FIA bar spare wheel laid flat in the middle and the frame extending each side to the edge of the FIA bar so you can strap on two kit bags one each side

I have E-mailed you my Phone number

Paul.

See My Car Here

Edited by - paul.d.jones on 10 Sep 2004 18:23:29

Alex,

I got the clamps for my luggage rack direct from Stauff. They were incredibly helpful even though it was a pitifully small order by their standards. IIRC I used their Sheffield office - the number is 01142 518 518.

Dan

Thanks Dan - will give them a call.

Paul, thanks for the offer but I'm quite looking forward to the challenge although I'm anticipating at least a mark 1 and 2 before I get it right. (I also need to give ECR something to do in between fixing his engine and fitting his new alternator, and fixing Derek's engine, and fixing my gear linkage, etc etc....)