Click here if you are having website access problems ×

advice on fitting gearbox

Wahey

Apart from taking the engine out, I imagine it is a pretty straight swap, but I stand to be corrected.

We just fitted a lightened flywheel and the transformation from the standard is huge - makes the engine much more revvy. Depending on lieage, might be worth replacing the clutch while you are in there, or even the CRB (Clutch release bearing)

Piccies of engine out on my website in the tech section - link below. *thumbup*

HUGE UPDATE WITH LOADS OF NEW STUFF

here

65,000miles in 3years

• Area Representative

Wahey

If you take it to a garage it will be quite an expensive job (probably 5 hours labour at least) and they probably won't be very careful with it (time is money).

I would recommend doing it yourself if you have the time and expertise. It will give you the opportunity to do a few other jobs whilst you're at it i.e. clean engine and engine bay, waxoyl chassis etc. In addition, you will have time to make a nmuch neater job of the wiring etc. than a garage will.

I have a chain hoist and straps which you can borrow if you have somewhere to hang it from. Alternatively you can hire a crane at reasonable cost.

Suggest you take out engine and box together. Assuming it's a K series, leave engine wiring harness in place i.e. just disconnect from main wiring harness.

Definitely change the clutch release bearing whilst you have the chance - it's false economy not to.

If you decide to diy, I or some of the LADS will be happy to provide help/advice.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Take out engine, take out g/box - put in new g/box put back engine... OR take out engine and g/box, change g/box put back engine and g/box.

It is only time consuming but certainly not difficult. If you can make it to the farm, then we can do it for you over a weekend.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Thanks for the replies.

I have a mate who works at a garage so I will have a word to see if he will let me help him out of hours to keep the cost down. If this is no go then I reckon I could do with a bit of help. I will keep you all posted.

Many thanks.