Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temp on track

Red SLR

Simon

A good synthetic oil can run up to 125 / 130 degrees C with no problems. In Superbikes developing in excess of 200 bhp/litre the oil is run at 125 degrees C on purpose as the engine produces more horsepower. The water temperature on the other hand is kept lower than 75 degrees C, lower still if possible.

So if your water temperature is not getting over the top and you are not running into any other problems I personally would not run an oil cooler. Adds weight and complication. Thermostats, hoses, where do you put the thing?

If the water temperature is rising too high as well then either more water cooling or cool the oil as it will probably help things along.

It the high temperature is only occasional and not for too long I wouldn't worry. That's my opinion. Some one else might think differently.

I do think oil coolers look quite macho though.

AMMO

I agree with Ammo fairly well on this one, but I do prefer to see oil temp hovering around 100degrees C max as an ideal. Synthetics are generally good for higher temperature, but soaring figures tend to indicate that your cooling system is marginal for coping with the situation. This means that you have nothing in hand for exceptionally hot days etc.

One point that is often overlooked. Where are you measuring the temperature? We often put the sensor in the trough of the dry sump. Short of putting thermocouples in the bearings, this will give you just about the hottest readings you can get. Putting the sensor in the dry sump tank will give much lower readings for the same car.

Simon

I run an oil cooler on a RK VHPD and last week on Le Sept saw a steady indicated 110 deg C. The air temp was 32 deg C. The temps rose quite quickly but settled down to the mentioned temp. Running in the UK has been no problem with the oil rad. Will be at LADS tomorrow, but not with the car. Its having some TLC after Le Sept.

Andrew