Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiscombe Entry

Mark Durrant

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes me back - did my first event at Wiscombe, four years ago in the Academy.

Beautiful setting and we had lovely weather - but the bit through the woods was pretty damp to start with and took quite a while to dry out - the hairpin in the woods was quite "interesting", as was the last bend.

My biggest problem was making myself go fast enough through the gate entering the wood - it's blind and all you can see in front of you is solid (can't remember offhand if it's soil or hedge or wall). I never went through very quickly - just couldn't make myself believe that it was OK to whiz through...

There's a nice crest in the middle of the bottom half - although a couple of cars ended up bent after failing to go across it straight....

Happy days *smile*

I ran out of batch in practice there once and was sitting under the big tree at the last corner (there's usually a printer with times etc on it and everybody gathers there to watch the last cars in the batch) when this rather shiny Austin Seven arrived, turned in, and fell over on top of the driver. He was completely unhurt but rather surprised.

At Bunny's Leap on the way across the meadow you need to head slightly left. It's probably flat in a Caterham, but you want to be sure you stay on the tarmac.

And if you think you won't make the last corner just go straight on.

Paul

Mrs K here

Oh Gosh

I've just plucked up the courage to do my first hillclimb *thumbup* and then I read posts like this *eek* *eek* I think I will be doing the course in first gear at about 10mph 😳 braking for the hairpins, of course

I hope the latest BBC weather for Seaton is correct as it shows a big yellow sun *smile*, unfortunately another site shows rain ☹️ *eek* *confused*

See you all bright and early Saturday *thumbup*

Mrs Kipper

It's a great venue chaps, Mrs Kipper.

Suppose to be moving house this weekend, so didn't put an entry in, low and behold solicitors can't get their act together *mad* not now moving for another 2 weeks, fingers crossed.

It is a hillclimb so the scenerary tends to be closer than a sprint 😬

If it's dry, go for it, surface is of a good quality.

If it's wet, its fine also.

When it's damp it a bit of a bugger 😳. The 'open' bits dry quickly, but the part under the trees (about 65% of the hill), stay damp and greasy.

Enjoy it, you will *smile*

Take wide entry/exits to both hairpins (Sawbench and Martini), they are both very steep on the inside, so taking a wide exit, though seeming longer, will give you better traction out of the corner.

Most importantly of all, the 'burger' van is excellent 😬 😬 and it has a beer tent as well 😬 *thumbup*

Hope to be able to come down and spectate *cool*

Simon Emmens Caterham and Pussy Photos here 😬

Edited by - Manxseven on 9 Sep 2004 12:31:18

Like most of you I don't like the sound of this place. Devon is full of carrot crunchers with warped senses of humour (Isn't Jethro from this neck of the woods?) Sounds like they're trying to have a laugh at our expence. Seriously I have heard its very tricky and the Nat hillclimb boys are very wary when they visit.

I'm going steady.

John.

Well that was fun wasn't it 😬

For anyone who's interested, here is my best video clip - 50.68 secs IIRC (best to right click and save locally).

I think it's quite tidy apart from the first bend(understeer) and the middle bend (Sawbench was it?). Any feedback/comments would be appreciated *thumbup*

Accumulating bits . . .

LOL - full opposite lock out of "Sawbench" *smile* Great fun. Nice video (spelt correctly this time) Adam *thumbup*

I like the way you let go of the wheel out of sawbench, sometimes it's the only way to get the opposite lock on fast in a Caterham eh? :)

Ken

Edited by - KenEvans on 12 Sep 2004 12:17:46

Cheers Ken *thumbup*

Sawbench approach was the only way to turn the car as I'd understeered a few feet and would never have had the lock to turn conventionally.

Hopefully some of the others will post some videos as it's very interesting seeing varying styles/lines.

Accumulating bits . . .

Mrs K here

Well I did it *thumbup* I got to the top four times *biggrin*. It was scary *eek* but it was fun 😬. Its a shame I didn't get a 'dry' timed run like the rest of you *thumbdown* but at least it wasn't actually raining when I went up the hill.

Thanks for all the encouragement you gave me. You are such a great group of people *thumbup*.

Can't wait until next year - Loton, Harewood here I come

Mrs Kipper

Life is not a rehearsal

well what a great finale to the year

ther was a lot of nervous laughter as we walked the course, but byt he end of the day the nervousness had gone from everyone to be replaced by smiles around *smile*

what a great hill climb that is, lets hope we go back next year *thumbup*

now if only I hadn't messed up on martini on the one dryer of the timed runs then maybe that maiden win would have happenned, but would have settled for 2nd before the start of the day, congrats to the 2 davids one for winnign class 3 ont he day and the other for winning class 3 overall, and to everyone one else *thumbup*

rob *smile*